Under The Tuscan Sun


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 29th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ponte VeccioPonte VeccioPonte Veccio

This picture was taken from inside the Ufize Gallery...nice view!
Hello everybody! We are enjoying our time in Florence. Last night we saw the David and some other Michelangelo works that were just amazing. I dont know how you take a big chunk of stone and turn it into a master piece but it is definitely beautiful to look at. This morning we hit the Ufizzi gallery at 9:00 and we didn't finish there until nearly 1:30 (Phil needed a little coffee break in the middle...cafe americano here is bellissimo!) They had roman sculptures and Raphaels and Michelangelos. Just when you thought you were done, there was a whole exhibit on Da Vinci's work shop and a room of Caravaggios. After the museum, we grabbed a picnic lunch in the only bit of greenspace that we've found in Florence and then headed over to Ponte Veccio. This a famous bridge across the Arno River that is filled with gold and silver shops (ooh!...shiny things!) After the bridge, we found a gelato shop because Florence is supposed to have the best ice cream in Italy. We liked it but it tasted about the same as in Venice. We made our way to the church of Santa Maria Novella to check out the art work inside. They have one of the first perspective drawings in history by Masaccio. After that, we had another siesta at the B &B and then had a pasta dinner at a nice restaurant. We tried the chef's special which was three pastas of his choice. It was very good although it wasn't likely what we would have chosen off the menu. We walked back to Duomo for one last glance.

Tomorrow, we're off to Pisa for the afternoon and then on to Rome for 4 days.

Ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb