Corniglia - Firenze (Florence)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 14th 2013
Published: July 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Florence McDonald'sFlorence McDonald'sFlorence McDonald's

Firenze Train Station Food Court
Nice leisurely start to the day. Breakfast at our favorite spot, Caffe Matteo, and then finished up the blog while Trev took a few last minute shots. This is definitely a MUST RETURN TO spot. Went back and pack up our things and headed for the village square to wait for the bus to the train station. We've got this handled....train to La Spezia, piece of cake.

I actually put my big girl panties on today and used the ticket machine to book tickets to Firenze (Florence) instead of letting some other ticket personnel do it for me. I did the famous arm circle dance, oh ya, oh ya..she's is definitely ALL THAT! Chuckling as buying the ticket is simple, now lets see if I picked the right trains. First one to Pisa worked and was on time. Second one from Pisa to Firenze Santa Maria Novelle Station was correct too. Quite proud of myself although I would have been prouder if I managed to buy them while reading Italian!! I chose English... A person has to be on their toes to make sure you are on the right platform and be listening to the loud speaker just in case the platform number got changed on you. Definitely NOT the time to be day dreaming.

We arrived in Florence and decided we HAD to have McDonald's at least once outside the country and figured this might be the last opportunity.....Let's just say we are looking forward to dinner!!!

We decided to walk to our apartment and go a little cocky as we marched right by the street we were supposed to turn left on. We had gone a fair bit out of our way when the man walking in front of us stopped and looked questioningly (not sure if that's a word but I'm using it anyway) at us. I showed him the map and the street we needed and he informed us we had to turn back (sign language, not words). So back we go and found the street no problem. See, walking the first direction there was no sign on the building but walking back there was. Note to self, check buildings on both sides of intersection to see if there is a street name.

Arrived and Alessandra was the consummate hostess and showed us the apartment. 3 large rooms, bathroom & kitchen. PLUS another
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene

They like flowers here too!
queen size bed!!!! Time for a bit of a snooze, some laundry and then hit the streets for the evening. Shoes and handbags in the morning, sooooooo excited. Trev actually found a custom shoe maker so we are going to check that out too. I figure the morning is the only way that my feet won't be swollen from the heat and all the walking.

We found one of the restaurants Alessandra recommended and had an excellent meal. Very glad the server forgot the salad as we had no room for it. The appetizer was the house special marrying 4 different cheeses with 4 vegetables. We had a creamy cheese wrapped in a pastry of sorts, a phyllo cup with cheese & mushroom ( and NO I did NOT eat the mushrooms. Trev kindly moved them to his half!), asparagus & cheese cake and then eggplant with feta & tomatoes. Very tasty start to the meal. Trev ordered Steak of Suckling Pig grilled with roasted potatoes and I had Steak Sirloin with green peppers and potatoes. I thought I was getting the vegetable green pepper but to my delight it was GREEN PEPPERCORNS!! As my family knows, anytime there is peppercorn steak on the menu I choose it....totally lucked out tonight. We then went to the recommended Gelato shop and swooned at the amazingness of each bit. I had 75% chocolate and salted caramel and Trev tried the pistachio and cookies & cream. Good thing we had to walk home.

The ankles and feet are proving to be a bit of a problem in this heat. I think dehydration is the problem so I'm going to start drinking water like mad and see if that helps. Fingers crossed as trying on shoes tomorrow could be interesting if the swelling doesn't abate.

Off we go in search of some awesome leather deals. Breakfast first though so coffee and a pastry is a must. Fed and fortified we make a bee line for the San Lorenzo market as we have been told this is the place to go. WOW....I keep getting pulled in to stores and just need to focus on getting to the market. I'm preoccupied with trying on shoes while my feet will still fit in them so need blinders!! Like any market, many merchants have the same things or things that look the same. Quality is vastly different with hucksters at every corner. Some are really pushy and get snarly when you don't want what they have. I asked one lady if I could try on the largest pair of leather gloves she had. They fit but I didn't want to buy any at that point as we just started the gauntlet through the market. I think she took offense as she immediately started an animated conversation with the next stall owner....oh well, moving on. Lots of vendors there that WERE NOT of the Italian persuasion so steered clear of them. We passed a stall and the man stayed in the background and let me looked and then proceeded to have an educational conversation about the leather that he had at his stall. So appreciated this breath of fresh air. We told him that we had just started but would likely return. WE DID and bought 7 handbags from him.

Stopped for lunch and then decided we need to go to the Post Office and mail off some of these purchases. Found our way there and I proceeded to buy a big box. As Trev and I were cramming items into the box we realized
Our Florence ApartmentOur Florence ApartmentOur Florence Apartment

Bathroom with bidet!!
we needed tape! Back to the cashier, wait in line and chat with young girl in front of me. She was looking for tape too. We decided to share. Trev brings over box, I start writing and cashier says, you have to get a ticket because PO is closing in 10 minutes. Trev runs out to get ticket and NO, closed. So young gal agrees to let us process on her ticket. We work out the system, she packs her boxes, Trev tapes and Rhonda watches monitor for ticket number to appear. E091 shows up and I go to counter with boxes and lady says not, only letters, you have to go over there.....we grab everything and go and man at counter says, NO your number doesn't show up. I guess you have to say if you are sending boxes or letters when you punch in for a ticket and our young friend chose letter not box!! Ohhhhhh boy, one guy was a pill and then the old fella must have decided to help us as her ticket number shows up. PAPERWORK!!! governments over here have just as much and in triplicate. We slowly get all the forms filled out,
Our Florence ApartmentOur Florence ApartmentOur Florence Apartment

Entry room with dining area
our box gets processed first, she has 2 and they make it as well. Old guy says cash only!! Poor girl doesn't have enough so I pay the difference and we head to a bank machine so she can pay back the 20 Euros. She would have been hooped on her own, we would have missed the post deadline without her so all in all it was a combined effort to get the 3 boxes sent to the USA....She was so thankful for the help that she hugged us both 😊 Fun experience for sure. She was working around Europe helping on organic farms. WWOOFing - "World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms". I checked it on google and it is quite a movement since the early 1970's.

We spent the day wandering the street per our usual MO and enjoyed absorbing the hustle and bustle. It seems that in each city we manage to find our way to the the most expensive shops and Florence was no different. We stopped for a gelato on the way back home and couldn't believe the price!! 8 Euros for 2 scoops - that's like $12.00 per cone...sure was good though and was nice to get off our feet. Grumbling Gertie says ya but you didn't even get an air conditioned or misted place to sit for that price!! True but the gelato was still good 😊

Walked towards home and tried on more shoes, looked at shoes, admired many pairs that just simply would not work and called it a day. Nice cold shower to bring down the body temp and my darling husband had an ice foot bath waiting for me. Now THAT was cold!!

Have a lovely rest and then went out for a quick bit in a new area of our neighborhood. Was fun to see all the children playing in the square and the locals chatting up a storm. One of the the map/guides suggested a panini spot that was well worth the visit. We AGREE. Took our dinner and headed over to the square, sat on the bench and just enjoyed the happy chaotic feel of life in this Florence neighborhood.

Off to Venezia (Venice) tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Brazilian shoe store. Every color under the sun
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Rack and custom leather clothes and shoes
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Tuscan pottery
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Leather. Ahhhhh the smell is amazing
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Can't believe she was walking on the street and no one holding her train!! The dress will be ruined!!!
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Impressive presentation of gelato
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

In the gems and watches district. The shops all have an exterior cladding that comes down over the glass windows. Brilliant idea as they don't have to remove their displays every night.
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Street musician...not great so we left. He seemed to be Bruce Springsteen wanna be but lacking
Florence Street SceneFlorence Street Scene
Florence Street Scene

Another great door


14th July 2013

No no no
Nope. Not even one McDonalds allowed when in Italy!!!!!! A waste of good eating time.?
15th July 2013

Sooooooo true!
14th July 2013

What a great apartment
We enjoyed seeing the brides when we were there. Glad you are taking advantage of the gelato.
15th July 2013
Florence Street Scene

Memories
Oh my goodness I think I have this exact picture! :) Great memories! Glad you guys get to see so much beauty!!!

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb