Olive Oil, Wine, and Spaghetti!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 25th 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The beautiful Italian countryside whizzes by my first class cabin. Its rolling hills of gold and green bring to mind strong associations of olive oil, wine vineyards, and of course spaghetti!

We have just departed Florence, the epicenter of the Italian Renaissance. Main attractions included a variety of museums, churches, and palaces adorned with the work of 15th and 16th century greats like Michelangelo, Raphael, and Brunelleschi. Much of the art produced here was commissioned by the rich and powerful Medici family. With such historical investment in art and culture, it is no wonder why European society still places a high value on artistic expression. This has been evident on every street corner of every city we’ve visited thus far.

Our journey to Florence from Barcelona involved two overnight adventures as quasi-stowaways. On the way, we spent one night in Villefranche, a costal resort town part of the French Riviera. Adjusting to French and Italian has been tough at times, but Spanish is usually close enough to get by, and giving both languages a shot has made people very warm and receptive – especially the French!

See you in Rome.

Au revoir!

Jason


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Michelangelo's DavidMichelangelo's David
Michelangelo's David

Not too young, not too old, not a blood thirsty warrior, but ready to slay the giant, handsome, realistic, David.
The tomb of Dante AlighieriThe tomb of Dante Alighieri
The tomb of Dante Alighieri

The Santa Croce church in Florence houses the tombs of many famous Italians, including Michelangelo, Galileo, and Dante pictured here.
Smoked salmon with bruschetta and mozzarellaSmoked salmon with bruschetta and mozzarella
Smoked salmon with bruschetta and mozzarella

Allie and I decided to splurge a little bit and we had a three course Italian meal.
People on trainPeople on train
People on train

Shot while leaving Villefranche


13th August 2012

Olive oil
Amazing how simple it can be to communicate with people and have them understand a certain topic, you made my day.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb