Florence Day 3


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 9th 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Piazzo del CampoPiazzo del CampoPiazzo del Campo

Heading into the square where the Palio horse race takes place twice a year.
We booked a bus tour to Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa. What a fantastic day that included lunch on an Chianti organic wine farm, where we had a traditional tuscan lunch with plenty of wine tasting! Jen excluded from the wine tasting ofcourse! I had her share!

Siena was wonderful and we had a great guide who told us all about the politics of the 17 sections of the city each with their own animal symbol. What a character she was and this is where the famous 600 year old Palio horse race takes place in the square. What passion this race brings to the fore in the city. We also visited the Siena Cathedral that once again was mind blowing. The frescoes and the floor of the cathedral were fantastic and the amount of gold leave used was amazing. The pictures will not do it justice, but will help give all an idea.

Then it was off to the wine farm for lunch and on to San Gimignano. This city is made up of 16 towers built by rich nobles of the era to out do each other. There use to be well over 60 of these towers
Siena CathedralSiena CathedralSiena Cathedral

About tto enter the Catheral. We continue to be amazed at the beauty of these churches.
at one point but were eventually pulled down. This mediaeval town rests on a hill and once gain was great to visit. After the lunch and wine the very steep narrow roads up to the highest viewing point were quite a challenge in the 33 degree heat.

Then off to Pisa, which by this time of the day early evening, was a very quick vist of one hour and we were greatful to get back onto the airconditioned bus for the trip back to Florence.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Inside Siena CathedralInside Siena Cathedral
Inside Siena Cathedral

The classic columns are amazing with the different clour marble. The floor tiles and images are incredible to see.
Lunch Lunch
Lunch

Overlooking the wine farm at lunch with San Gimignano in the background.
San GimignanoSan Gimignano
San Gimignano

View from the top after a long hot climb, broken by a large gelato icecream from the world champion icecream producer for the past three years.
PisaPisa
Pisa

We tried to straighten it, gave up and had some dinner instead!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb