Florence for Art, Architecture and Atmosphere


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 31st 2011
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have spent the last four days of our trip visiting the delights of Florence and believe me you need all that time to appreciate all that the city has to offer. It is a triple 'A' city - Art, Architecture and Atmosphere and they all come in abundance.

The Art is everywhere - the galleries, palaces and churches and it is predominately from the Renaissance period which has its roots in the city. The largest gallery is The Uffizi with masterpieces by Botticelli, Michelangelo, Titian and Leonardo da Vinci on display. There are marble and bronze scultures not only in the galleries and museums but on display in the piazzas with the Piazza della Signoria having some of the finest on show.

The Architecture in the form of the churches, the cathedral and palaces are in most cases glorious both internally and externally. The Doumo, Campanile and the Baptistry in the centre of the city dominate the surrounding area and in particular the enormous dome which, from a distance, dominates the skyline. The church of Santa Croce has a spacious and airy interior which is enhanced by radiant frescos and is appropriate for the final resting place and marble tombs of Michelangelo and Galileo.

The Medici family ruled the city almost continuously from 1434 to 1743 and their wealth has had the biggest influence on the art and architecture of the city. They were responsible for commissioning some of the greatest works of the Renaissance as well building many of the finest buildings. The Palazzo Pitti, a grand palace across the river from the city centre, became the main Medici residence and today the richly decorated rooms exhibit treasures from the Medici collections.

All this art and architecture, linked by a confusing maze of tiny alleyways and narrow streets which in the main have been pedestrianised ,creates a special atmosphere unique to this city. Round almost every corner there is a sight to be explored and that is why you need plenty of time to take it all in.

However be warned this experience does not come cheap as with so much to see there is unfortunately an admission charge at each entrance and in some cases they are pretty hefty. If you are planning to come to Florence then plan your budget accordingly. Believe me, it is worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Joggers by the DuomoJoggers by the Duomo
Joggers by the Duomo

On the Sunday there was a marathon race around the city which passed the Duomo
La Maddalena by DonatelloLa Maddalena by Donatello
La Maddalena by Donatello

A fine piece of Renaissance art dating back to 1438
Michelangelo's PietaMichelangelo's Pieta
Michelangelo's Pieta

The hooded figure of Nicodemus is widely believed to be a self portrait
Ponte VecchoiPonte Vecchoi
Ponte Vecchoi

The oldest bridge over the river
Perseus in Piazza della SignoriaPerseus in Piazza della Signoria
Perseus in Piazza della Signoria

Cellini's bronze statue (1554) of Perseus holding Medusa's head
Tempting gelatiTempting gelati
Tempting gelati

The Italian ice-cream is a most.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb