Tales From The Big Boot!!!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
August 11th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ciao From Tuscany



The train from Nice into Italy ran smoothly with a quick change at Genova, then on to my first real taste of an Italian city with a nights stop in Pisa.

There's only a couple of reasons to visit Pisa, the obvious being the leaning tower, and then the Campo Dei Miracoli that it's situated in which also houses the Duomo (the main church of the city). Luckily, the hostel I'd booked was called Under The Tower, and that's exactly what it was. You could see it from the bedroom window!!! Placed on one of the little side streets just off the piazza with a row of pizzerias running the length of it creating a festive atmosphere. Kids with gelato and stalls full of all the touristy trinkets added to the vibe as I thought to myself.... Pizza, Ice-cream and world renowned landmarks. I'm going to like Italy!!!

Heading out for the afternoon, I stop by the famous Leaning Tower Of Pisa to take the obligatory photo.... well this is the reason I came to the town after all. In the afternoon light, the whole piazza glows with a vibrancy that accentuates the atmosphere and if it wasn't for the thousand or so tourists, all acting like sheep, it would almost be ideal. Like sheep, I hear you ask.... well when every person floods through the city gates into the piazza, they all seem to have one thing on their mind... "Let's hold up the leaning tower of Pisa." Lined up in rows, symmetrical in every way, they stand on the grass and create the compulsory pose (which could be assimilated for far less cash by using photo-shop) and snap away til they get just the right angle. Call me cynical but I think I'll pass on the mass produced, cruise-liner driven, farm house routine. Don't get me wrong, the tower itself is magnificent though. Started in the late 12th Century, it didn't even get to the third tier before it started to tip. By 1990 the tower had reached 5.5 degrees, the critical angle according to a number of scientists, so plans were undertaken to strengthen the foundations. Eight years, a number of holes, and some stabilisation of the ground and the the tower now leans eternally (hopefully) at a substantial angle making the top 4.1 metres skewed from the base. Not a small distance in anyone's imagination.

The Duomo dominates the rest of the piazza with it's dome as imposing from within as from without. In the afternoon sun the bricks light up as if on fire and illuminate the piazza, accentuating the fell of surrealism.

And to think... that was just the first stop in Italy!!!

The next day, it was a short trip over to Florence (or Firenze if your Italian). The city that spawned more artists then anywhere else pays homage to Michelangelo, Donatello, Da Vinci, and many others including composers and architects. No wonder the city is such a pleasure to wonder around for a couple of hours.

Hitting all the main sites in one afternoon is not so difficult when it's a Monday. I say when it's a Monday because , like nearly everywhere in Europe, the museums are closed on Mondays. Not a big problem, seen many a museum before, except for the fact that the whole reason I came to Florence was for a museum. The Uffizi Gallery is home to probably the most well known statue in history.... which one??? WHICH ONE????? I can't believe your asking that!!!! It's a guy with no arms!! Ring any bells!!! Sculptured by Michelangelo the Statue Of David is one of the most remarkable pieces of art in the world.... if you can see it..... and on a Monday.... you can't!!! Once again... another trip, another day.

Just walking through Florence you get the feeling of a centre for arts. From the Cattedrale Di Santa Maria Del Fiore to the bridge Ponte Vecchio, and the palaces and institutions providing one of the more intriguing backdrops for a city I've visited. It's a shame I couldn't stay longer but the next morning... All Roads Lead To Rome.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." - Jack London


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb