Rome, Florence, Venice!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived around 9 am in Rome. By the time we went to the bathroom to change and brush our teeth after our night train from Switzerland, found an ATM, got lost in the strange mall/train station, realized we couldn’t find even the right exit from the station that was our first step in the directions to our hostel, and then took a taxi a mere 7 blocks to our hostel, it was already 11:30 am!
We checked in and dropped our bags off, and immediately fled to the streets of Roma! First we checked out the Coliseum and the Roman Forum. We stopped to have lunch (hot dogs … how Italian of us! haha) and ate on pieces of fallen Coliseum. Pretty cool seats with an even better view! After we set off to other monuments.
We eventually made it to the Vatican - by far the highlight of our day and we didn’t even get to go in! Walking up to the Vatican, we realized that the main street in Vatican City was closed. Not only was it closed, but there were tons of people along the streets. Then we saw tons of Italian cops, with pepper spray and riot sticks and large guns. Then we noticed helicopters circling the area. Confused, but figuring this must be something important (Lisa thought it was the Pope), we stopped to watch whatever was about to happen. About 2 minutes later, a procession lead by at least two dozen cop cars and then a fleet of black Tahoes. We took pictures and thought it was cool. Then we asked an Italian couple next to if they knew who that was, and they responded “Barack Obama”. We used the excuse that “we’ve been out of the country for a couple weeks”, completely living up to our dumb American stereotypes. Obama parked in the big circular plaza in front of the Vatican and went inside for a meeting. It was rumored that when he came back out, there was a chance he would wave to all the people waiting for him. Realizing that we wouldn’t get into the Vatican anyways by the look of all the guards with guns completely surrounding the building, we decided to wait. We had the perfect spot - right on the corner in the front row where Obama would turn to leave. After about an hour in the hot sun, and unable to buy water and give up our spot, the fleet started to exit the Vatican. Everyone was so excited and waited somewhat patiently with their cameras out. Lisa and I had a fool proof plan of me taking a video and Lisa taking pictures. As the police drove by and Obama’s car started to make its way directly in front of us, my memory card flashed “full” and Lisa stopped taking pictures thinking she had the shot! So technically we have no proof, BUT he rolled down his window and waves and stuck his head out! We were maybe five feet from him! It was so cool!

Pumped, we decided we needed post-Obama sighting gelato! We even collected pieces of the yellow police tape that separated us from our president! Haha! After we walked to a few other monuments and then headed back to the hostel to shower. For dinner, we went to a great Italian restaurant. We had some awesome Bruschetta and pasta. We went to bed early, exhausted from the day.

We left Rome Saturday morning, stopped in Florence for just the day and then had another train around 9 pm to Venice for the night. In Florence we saw the Uffizi Gallery and also the David statue. There were a lot of lines and basically only tourists on the streets. We were glad we only had a day there because there wasn’t anything to do really besides the standard tourist filled museums.

Lisa and I loved Venice! The city itself was beautiful, by far my favorite in Italy. The entire city is connected by a series of about 150 canals. The streets are quiet, small and shaded. It felt the least touristy of the three cities we visited in Italy - I think mostly because of the small streets because you were separated from everyone else. The food was delicious too! We saw St. Mark’s Basilica and went to a glass blowing exhibition. We were so tired from attempting to see Italy in a single weekend; we took it pretty easy and did lots of shopping in the afternoon! We bought beautiful Italian glass jewelry, a glass frame and a sweet glass keychain for my new car (which I am dying to get home and drive!) By the evening we decided to grab some dinner and started walking towards a street with lots of pizzerias. On the way we unexpectedly ran into my friend Christina from my study abroad program! We obviously had a dramatic and screechy reunion in the streets and Venice and then we all went to dinner together. Unfortunately, our night with old friends was cut short because we had a night train that night to Munich.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



16th July 2009

HI
We are so enjoying your blogs .. it sounds like your trip is fabulous and I'll be eager to see your pictures and hear the stories!! When I heard Obama was going to be in Rome, I wondered what your schedule would be and thought it would be amazing if you were in Rome that day ... lo and behold, when you spoke with your Mom that night we were all so excited for you!! Riley and Roxey are having a ball .... they love the water and run all around the front yards like chickens with their heads cut off!! They are soooo fast. On Sunday they got into the woods next to our house and we could not find them for about 15 minutes .... let me tell you .. that was a long 15 minutes!! I had them lost in the woods and couldn't picture me telling Lisa "we've lost your dogs". It all turned out just fine ... we found them down by the water way backa in the cove and now we keep their leashes on them -- makes it alot easier to catch them. We're trying to teach them to "come" ... the treat supply is getting pretty slim, but they do seem to get the message about 50% of the time!! We're looking forward to having a full house next door again ... our weather has been delightful and I hope it stays that way. This weekend is the big Lake Fest .. so that will mean a big zoo down town ... not that we ever participate since the race is not held any more. Love the pictuers ... love the blogs and love both of you. Gramma
22nd January 2010

http://www.traveladriatic.net
Wow nice blog! I enjoyed reading this one. The places you have visited especially Venice sounds cool! http://www.traveladriatic.net

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb