Hunting out David in Firenze...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 27th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday 27th June
Florence, otherwise known as Firenze, is our excursion for today. It looks all set for another boiling hot day, and another extortionate parking fee (about 230 Euro for the day). Found the information centre, and found our way to the 'fake David', and to the Cathedral, before people split off into groups. Some went in the Cathedral (quite plain inside until you look up into the domed roof), others headed off to find the 'real David' in the museum, and the Medici collection in the Uffizi Museum. After watching the hawkers set-up & pack-up multiple times at the faintest sniff of a policeman, several of us decided to walk through the streets, finding Ponte Vecchio, and over to the gardens at the Palace. No going in there though, not unless you were prepared to pay 10 Euro. We went looking for free patches of grass, of which there didn't seem to be too many, but we found a small patch next to the river! Headed back into town with Vanessa afterwards to check out the shops/ice-creams, before meeting the group back at the coach... via which we found free Red Bull Cola being given out - not sure I like it but it was cold and it was free! Headed up to Piazzo Michaelangelo for views over Florence, which were pretty impressive - another copy of Michaelangelo's David up there too - so the closest photo opportunity we've had so far! Quick trip to the Co-op on the way back to the campsite, where we had a pretty late meal, short meeting, and most went to bed early... but we seem to have hit another party campsite - old-time Disco til 1am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th July 2008

Just catching up
I have just read through the last month or so... sounds like a wonderful trip! Looking forward to the photos love

Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb