Chianti is more than wine...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Castellina in Chianti
April 28th 2018
Published: April 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

3 lovely towns in Chianti today....Castellina, Radda, and Gaiole. Not sure which one I like better. Each is SO different. Castellina, the old town with Etruscan tombs. Bones of St Faustino in the church. Of course some tourist shops but not crowded. Least crowds we've seen have been in these 3 chianti towns and Certaldo Alta.

Radda seemed to be the "wealthiest" and newer of the towns. The town was smaller than Castellina (by my eyes) and I loved it. Very quiet.

Gaiole was where we sat to.have Pranzo.
Soooo more food pix below!! For mike and I...a chicken/olive/tomato stew...sort of cacchiatore-like. This was the first time we've seen whole grain brown bread in Tuscany.
Delish. I regret not taking a pic. Pamela had the regional spinach ravioli with funghi sauce. Alex had the strangest thing that he loved...THISTLE parmesan ( leaves of the thistle plant layered as eggplant usually would be). Nancy and Eric enjoyed what they say was the best pizza thus fat....48 hours of leavened dough!! Of course gelato and tiramisu to finish.

Gaiole was the tiniest and most quiet of the three towns we visited, and not touristy at all. Free parking for the first time this trip!!

Alex and Pamela leave our group of 6 tomorrow. I'm sad. Very much fun traveling with the younger "kids". We move on as a group of four to the Cinque Terre on Monday.

Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb