Carrara Marble


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Carrara
May 3rd 2017
Published: May 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

After crossing the Appenines from Lucca, we explored the Garfanana Valley which runs between the Appenine Mountains and the Apuan Alps. Atop one of the mountainous areas, we saw an amazing church in Barga. (St. Cristophanos, I think). It was constructed from 900 to 1200, so is probably the oldest we have seen. I noticed that the arches inside were Roman, rather than Gothic. Altar sculpture looked Byzantine. Windows were a translucent alabaster which may have predated stained glass windows; or maybe were used because they are lighter, cheaper, and less fragile than stained glass. It would have been difficult to transport such precious cargo.
After lunch of local specialties (cheeses and cold meats) in Castel Nuovo, we drove up a very narrow, steep, and winding road to a marble quarry at Fantiscritti. You have heard of Carrara marble? Well, we saw it, touched it, walked on it. From the tour guide, we learned that all the mountains in this area are white Carrara marble. We saw open quarries where mining was taking place. The marble from which Michelangelo carved the statue of David would have come from here. He came here many times, but probably picked out the slab of marble in Florence, according to our tour guide.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb