Italian Adventure


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Buonconvento
May 23rd 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our Italian 3 week road trip is drawing close to the end. After visiting numerous Tuscan hilltowns we made a loop along the Maremma Coast line. We drove along the seacoast in a very remote area and Italian roadsigns are not my strong suit. I think we ended up on a road only meant for donkeys. The boys and I have been off-roading many times, but this was Jane's first experience. Our little Fiat did fine and we were both glad to get back to a paved road. After that we headed back up into the hills of the Maremma region of Tuscany. The Roman Terme (Hot Spring) of Saturnia was a highlight and we stayed in a family-run B&B nearby for several days. Yesterday we hiked to the top of Monte Amiata, the highest point in Tuscany. It is a ski resort in the winter and now is a lovely forest-topped mountain that was a pleasant, cool hike. We are both amazed at how strong we are compared to when we left in January. When we get to the boat on Friday I will be able to update our hopeful weight loss stats.

We have saved the best hill town for last. Next we head to Lake Bolsena and the nearby towns of Civita and Bagnoregio. They are supposed to be spectacular and we plan to stay there a few days before our next cruise leg.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb