Day 29 : Friday 4 October 2019 : Hiking the Dolomites


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » San Candido
October 4th 2019
Published: September 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

P1100122 (2)P1100122 (2)P1100122 (2)

great walk
Day 29 : Friday 4 October 2019 : Hiking the Dolomites

We had to outfit ourselves with jackets and stockings for under our jeans. Tough Dad just wanted better hiking boots. Views are amazing, and we settled for the ‘Family Hike’ and headed up the mountains. I would hate to see a difficult hike. The hike was nothing short of spectacular as we gazed upon the 3 peaks of the Dolomites. You just want to keep taking photos from every viewpoint so that you can capture the enormity of it, but you can't do it justice. We got warm very quickly because it was all uphill, but what goes up must go down. As always, when climbing through the woods you have to sing the Playhouse Disney song ‘I met a bear’. Alright, we haven’t sung it since Ella was little, but it was still fun remembering the words.

Got back after lunch and we were starving. Nothing is open between 12 and 3pm !!

We found Shyams kebab and pizza shop tucked away, thank goodness, as we downed a sizeable lunch with the best piadina kebabs. We think the other side of the mountains also look good now that we are fed and watered. We took the chair lift (€40) up to the top of the mountain and headed out on the trail through the Giants and past the Gigante Baranci Wood Cabin café, a most enchanting building. They have created a wonderful circuit walk full of Giant’s equipment, you’ll understand when you see the photos.

We continued to meander our way home and then discover a dilapidated old building, Bagni Wildbad or Bagni di Sand Candido. This place was incredible and we easily lost half an hour mesmerised by what this building would have been in its hey day. In 1859 it was built as a sanitarium and around 1900 it was extended to become the Grand Hotel Wildbad. In 1939 it was sold and it has since been left to the ravages of time. There is a fresh water mineral spring that bubbles that has been used as a health spa as far back as the middle ages although the first one formally documented was in the 16th century.

Amazingly awesome walks.

Wine is officially cheaper than water or soft drink at around €4-5. Wine is 1.60€ . Whoop whoop.

Walked 16kms or 24100 steps and 88 floors. CC €205 Cash €30


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Gigante Baranci wood cabinGigante Baranci wood cabin
Gigante Baranci wood cabin

outside Gigante Baranci wood cabin
Gigante Baranci wood cabinGigante Baranci wood cabin
Gigante Baranci wood cabin

The Cafe in the cabin
IMG_4334IMG_4334
IMG_4334

Giant's seat
P1100158P1100158
P1100158

The Giant's glasses


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb