Day 31 A Quick Divert


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Predazzo
June 4th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 31 A quick divert,

Possibly to escape the crowds, or maybe the toilet we were situated next to. We decided to head north, by the Lake side road of Garda towards the Dolomites. They were not like the Alps, they had their own unique formation - more teeth-like than pointed.

Since we arrived in Italy we had been slightly disappointed, we had covered approximately 2000 miles roads were quiet, lots of open country side. But as we got to the Lakes it was quite built up and the traffic was horrendous. As we travelled North along Lake Garda the traffic thinned, it was less built up- it was far more like we were expecting of Lake Garda, beautiful towns- and the Lake, unlike Maggiore and Como, it is a turquoise blue, more like the Interlaken lakes.

We stopped at Malcasine for a coffee and a rest before headed up to the mountains by way of Trento. From Trento to the Dolomites is a flat Agricultural Valley with mountain ranges either side.
We arrived at our campsite, a simple but peaceful one- the Vallee Verde, our highest so far at 1117 metres.

One of the great things
DolomiteDolomiteDolomite

Its a great place for Motorcycling as this picture shows
about our travels is bumping into fellow travellers who like us are criss-crossing the continent. At this camp site we met Ted and Di who had just come up from Tuscany and were heading North. They invited us for a sundowner, Ted opened the Gin and Tonic, which was greatly appreciated, a lovely evening.

The following day we set off for a circular drive around the Dolomites, the drive was spectacular taking us up to 2,550 metre, it must have been a good place to go because, motorcyclists and cyclists, in groups were out in force, enjoying the thrill of the bends and scenery, only thwarted by the coaches and by this Mazda Bongo trying to protect the brakes from getting overheated on the way down. Mind you, today was full of the occasionally heavy shower, and a German couple we met in a mountain cafe was soaked through, sensibly they cut short their day and decided to go for a sauna instead!.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb