Train to Palermo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily
May 18th 2012
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.0395, 14.0219

This morning we decided to take the easy route to Palermo - the train. It is about an hour from Cefalu and the train station is fairly centrally located in Palermo.

Again lots of old buildings and lots of walking. Many of the stores are the same ones as we see in BC. Lots of tourists and tourist buses and it is still a month from high season.

A highlight was the accidental discovery of street markets in ethnic neighborhoods. The first was a food market and the second a metal market.

Palermo is a mixture of many cultures.

We stopped by a travel agency and booked the Sunday evening ferry from Palermo to Naples. It is less expensive to take the 10.5 hour overnight ferry than it is to drive and pay the cost of accommodation. We have a cabin with a window and hopefully the sea will not be too rough and we don't get a captain who likes to cruise close to islands along the way.

Meanwhile we are back at the room and waiting until it cools down a bit before heading out to dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



19th May 2012

Please sent some of your heat this way. It is the long weekend in May and it feels like fall.Smart move, taking the overnight ferry to Naples.Like your hotel room. You seem to have done a great job of picking out great places to stay.Your p
hotos of the market remind me that once I had this idea of photographing open markets around the world, thus compiling a visual display of culinary differences. But, it slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me.
19th May 2012

Oh, I love it. The architecture is really something. Your hotel room looks lovely.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb