Sicily. Day 8 Sciacca


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Sciacca
October 17th 2015
Published: October 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cicily Day 8 Sat 17 Oct 2015. Sciacca
Sunny and hot again in the mid 20's. The morning was spent in the archeological site of Selinunte, which is a 2,400 year old site of a Greek Acropolis or two and surrounding townships. I said Acropolis or two, there were actually two but what is the plural - is it Acropoli? We visited the quarry 18 km away yesterday, which produced all the stone. This must have been a colossal undertaking since many of the stones must weigh 20 tonnes or more and must have taken 10's of years in the process. The buildings over the 110 hectare site were never ever completed since they were eventually invaded in 416BC by Carthage and the site was then abandoned. The first Acropolis had been partly rebuilt and is still surrounded by tonnes of dressed stone from the buildings which were destroyed and suffered from a massive earthquake in the 6th century AD. The area was riddled with lizards running around and basking in the sun, which were much more pleasant than the pesky flies nipping at you all the time. I have several bites from days ago already causing discomfort and swelling without adding more. Lunch by the sea in Marinella consisting of a ham and tomato sandwich with coffee for 2 euro. Can that be right? He said so. Toppled over in deep gravel going back into hotel yard and head butted the garden. Damn it. Just slight grazing on knuckles - more for the flies to attack. The route to Sciacca heads south west keeping a distance from the coast but nearly always in vew. A short day today and at the hotel by 4pm in sun and well over 20 degrees. Who could ask for more. especially when it overlooks the sea and the local marina? I think it would be a mistake to ask for squid pie tonight after everything today went so well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.726s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.3736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb