No room at the inn


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Catania
September 19th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.503, 15.0882

We were leaving France today so spent the morning having a late breakfast at the hotel and checking out. The staff at the Ibis have been really great.

At midday we caught the bus into Aix-en-Provence to do some last minute shopping of items we had spotted earlier in the week. I bought THE BEST BOOTS EVER after thinking about them for a few days.

Had an excellent lunch of Moules‑frites (mussels with a cream white wine sauce and fries). Yummo. And more Rose of course. The friendly waiter (see photo) plied us with some apple flavored spirit following lunch, nice but strong (the drink).

We then picked up the car and drove to Marseille airport for a no frills flight with Ryanair to Catania, Sicily that night. The terminal was very basic however we had a "business" fare in order to allow 20kg baggage so were able to board the plane first and sit in the first row. It was still all economy class though.

Baggage took an age to arrive at Catania airport and by the time we took a taxi to our B&B it must have been about 1030pm. No elevator at the B&B so we first carried our hand luggage up about six flights of stairs. What do you know - there is no room available for us! I spent the next 30 minutes or so in a stinking hot reception speaking to the owner on the phone in Milan, the attendant at the B&B could not understand any English. They arranged a hotel booking 200 metres up the road so we headed back down the stairs.

Just prior to us arriving, another couple had arrived and found their room was not as per their booking. By the time we got downstairs they had decided they didn't want their room and were leaving. We received a yell from the upstairs window to wait and we were offered the room. It wasn't ideal but by that time we'd had enough so took it. G had a double bed, I had a fold out ottoman that I helped make up. Sheets and pillow, no blankets or cover. Bathroom was accessed by walking through the communal kitchen. No lock on our room door. Whatever.

We got a little sleep that night and looked forward to moving tomorrow. Anyway I BOUGHT THE BEST BOOTS EVER.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd September 2014

I do believe Tania did more shopping than me in France, I'm amazed, I've never been outdone in the shopping stakes before, just ask my husband. I'll have to up the ante in Roma! Sorry Les, but I will just have to rise to the challenge....
23rd September 2014

T, I hope your suitcase has room for all that shopping & him! ;)

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb