Sunshine in Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Verbania
June 8th 2013
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

ShoppingShoppingShopping

First thing we had to do was top up with Italian food.
Our next campsite was Conca d'Ora near Verbania on Lake Meggiore. A really nice site with a small beach on the lake. We settled in for a week. We had done no washing since leaving home as we could not hang anything to dry. Conca d'Ora was our 'heaven'. Michelle was soon sunbathing on the beach and Terry washing and hanging out clothes. "the world has gone upside down" someone remarked.

This was how we lived for the next few days. Then being advised from afar we set off on our bikes for Stresa which was nearly 6 miles away. We had never heard of it but what a lovely place. Some really exotic houses and hotels, none more than the Grand Hotel des Isles Borromees which was made famous by Hemingway's 'Farewell to Arms'. Stresa is like a smaller version of Nice but less expensive.

Next day we were off to the 'Big One', we went to Milano. Nearly two hours on the train, then 20 minutes to find the underground, the Italians never make things easy as we later found. Finally we arrived at Duomo Piazza and came out of the underground directly in the Piazza, then shock, as suddenly we were hit by magnificence all around. The Duomo is, to us, the most beautiful church we have ever seen, just stunning, the largest gothic cathedral in the world. Inside though it is a bit lacking and we have seen many nicer interiors. Also in the square is the Galleria Victor Emanuele 11. Like a long extremely ornate greenhouse. We do not give it justice, it is fabulous. It is about 100 metres long and full of restaurants and designer wear shops. We did not ask how much a coffee was!

Near the end of the day we walked up to the church of Santa Maria della Grazia, most famously known for housing Leonardo's fresco of the 'Last Supper'. We already knew, that even at this time of the year, we had to book at least a week ahead but maybe it was worth the chance. Alas no, not even a peek. Altogether we were a little disappointed in Milano, other than the main square with the Duomo and the Gallerie, it was not what we hoped. However everyone was as stylish as could be imagined and we would have missed seeing that Duomo!
Michelle in StresaMichelle in StresaMichelle in Stresa

Doing her favourite pastime eating Italian ice cream

Our feet and Terry's knees had seen enough and we took the underground back to the station in plenty of time for the 17.33. Unfortunately it never arrived and there was no information. We looked and asked around and eventually found a helpful employee who said it is leaving from platform 2 at 17.57! So we found the train and relaxed in nice seats. Time to leave but there was no movement. Some people started to get off who obviously had got on the wrong train. More and more got off until we were the only ones left. We walked to the driver and Michelle asked him in Italian what was happening, we managed to understand "cancelled". Nobody had told us, not even in Italian. We then found there was another train from Platform 7 leaving at 18.37. We managed to jump on this and at 18.40 it left, nearly two hours after we arrived at the station. Usual Italian efficiency!

On our last day Michelle declared it not hot enough to sunbathe as it was only 25 degrees! We decided to go to a nearby shopping centre for a coffee, where Michelle bought a scarf and a pair of shorts. We then decided to go to the nearby town of Verbania for an ice cream, where Michelle looked at tops to go with the shorts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Duomo MilanoThe Duomo Milano
The Duomo Milano

Possibly the prettiest church in the world.
Santa Maria della GrazieSanta Maria della Grazie
Santa Maria della Grazie

Home of Leonardo's Last Supper, but otherwise uninspiring.


Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb