On to Stresa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Stresa
October 17th 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Goodbye to LauterbrunnenGoodbye to LauterbrunnenGoodbye to Lauterbrunnen

One last shot of Staubbach Falls
The day dawned gray and drizzly-what else is new? Despite the weather we decided to head into Interlaken a little earlier than necessary for our train connection to Brig in the south of Switzerland (where we would then connect with the train to Stresa). Thought we’d check out the town and maybe get in a little last-minute Swiss souvenir shopping. See Interlaken scenes below.

We also had a bit of time to explore Brig between trains, so we headed for the historic section at the top of the town, where wandered around a bit, discovering the unique architecture of the 17th century Stockalper Palace.

Back on the very crowded train, we were dismayed to see raindrops hitting the windows again, but just about the time we arrived in Stresa it stopped. (By the way, we noted with amusement, that although the train left Brig in Switzerland EXACTLY on time, it arrived in Stresa, Italy almost 15 minutes LATE...) We schlepped our bags through Stresa's wet cobblestone streets to the embarcadero along the lakefront. Just about the time we feared we’d never reach our destination, we looked up to see the lovely La Luna nel Porto. Located at the opposite end of the main drag from most of the hotels, it is a quiet oasis above the hustle and bustle of the main street. And we had booked a suite, which turned out to be more like an apartment, so we finally had LOTS of room to spread out, a rarity for us on this trip. Plus we have killer views from our 3 little balconies. Too bad we’re only here for a day and a half!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Interlaken.2Interlaken.2
Interlaken.2

The Casino in Interlaken
Interlaken.3Interlaken.3
Interlaken.3

Words to live by...
Interlaken.4Interlaken.4
Interlaken.4

My kind of window shopping
Interlaken.5  Interlaken.5
Interlaken.5

Really??!! And at the Grand Hotel, no less...
Interlaken.6Interlaken.6
Interlaken.6

Must be city cows...
Interlaken.7 Interlaken.7
Interlaken.7

No caption necessary...
Brig.1Brig.1
Brig.1

The main square
Brig.2Brig.2
Brig.2

The Stockalper Palace (Stockalperschloss) was built between 1658 and 1678 by Kaspar Stockalper, a silk merchant. He named the unusual triad of towers Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar, after the Three Wise Men.
Brig.3Brig.3
Brig.3

In the Stockalperschloss courtyard
 Isola Bella and  Lago Maggiore Isola Bella and  Lago Maggiore
Isola Bella and Lago Maggiore

View from our balconies at La Luna nel Porto
Pappagallo RistorantePappagallo Ristorante
Pappagallo Ristorante

Enjoyed our dinner at this lively trattoria that was recommended by Dave’s parents


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb