Day 2 - the day of the two cancelled trains!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Stresa
July 29th 2019
Published: July 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As the title of this blog indicates there were a few challenges to our travel but more to come on that.

The morning, after enjoying breakfast in the hotel’s panoramic breakfast room overlooking the lake and the Alps, started with another walk by the lake to keep the legs stretched out before our 2 hour trip from Lausanne to Stresa. The views across to Evian and Thonon ( both places we have enjoyed) was stunning with the sun glinting off the water. Very relaxing.

Later we headed up the steep hills to reach the old town with its impressive gothic cathedral, which is amazing inside with an impressive organ and console - it would be good to try that out! The building was so peaceful and the colours of the stained glass windows created amazing colours in certain areas of the church. The Cathedral is amazing but so are the amount of steps needed to reach it - to for the feint hearted.

We reached the station in plenty of time for the 14:18 train, which was already indicating a indeterminate delay - although we were told to wait on the platform as it would be running but it would be late. So we waited... nibbling our babybels stored from breakfast... then just before the appointed time we were informed that the train had been cancelled as there was a problem with the train. So what next, there was no member of staff around so I headed back to the ticket office for advice - catch the next train to Brig, change there for Domodossola and then on to Stresa, which would arrive 2 hours after our predicted time. We were chilled and settled back to enjoy the scenery. Just half an hour from Brig, the train stopped at Sion and then I noticed on the platform that it said delayed - an announcement followed suggesting 20 mins delay - that would be ok as the train was cool and saved waiting for an hour on the next platform. Then just as the next similar train was approaching they cancelled ours and we transferred again (to be fair there was an ambulance crew called to attend an ill woman). The train from Brig to Domodossola was only half an hour but it is not every day you can pull down your whole window to let in the air. The final train was good.

We arrived at 18:40 and checked in to the Regina Palace Hotel - on the lake side with its decadent look and headed off for a well deserved pizza .

Quite an adventure today - 2 days now with no pressing travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Organ consoleOrgan console
Organ console

Used for concerts


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb