Carado's and Cadac's...and Snobbery


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Orta San Giulio
September 6th 2016
Published: January 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

What we didn't realise, before purchasing our van, was that there is snobbery in motor-homing, which, apparently, should influence what you buy (if you can afford it), instead of what you actually need. We, in our view, very sensibly, purchased our Hymer MLT-580 (Fugly) for its features and were shocked to be informed, by a very well healed couple in the show room, that they were 'only' purchasing a Carado, which, apparently, is an 'entry level' Hymer. News to us. Blissfully unaware of this fact we had reviewed the specs of all of the vehicles in the showroom and would have been happy to buy a Carado had it met our spec. Unfortunately the garages would not accommodate our bike dimensions and / or payload requirements. When they asked us what we were buying, and we mumbled to them we were buying a Hymer (thinking about our own preconceptions of these being GOAT mobiles) they responded by saying 'you must have more money than us'... Not by way of appearance we didn't - we were en route to Bearded Theory festival in our VW Crafter Race Van, which we were sure was way below the 'entry level'. How sad that a van's classification can lead its owners to believe that it is 'less worthy' than a more expensive vehicle, when the purchase of any motorhome is a significant investment by its owners. This comment took me back some years and to memories of my very first van - a Daihatsu HiJet conversion. I remember attending the Newbury show - ironically the same show that we saw Fugly at, all these years later, where another Daihatsu was being marketed for sale. My parents overhead a couple mocking the van because of its size. They were quick to inform them that I had one and had spent many happy holidays in it (and indeed my Kyham click system umbrella tent before it), both of which were what I could afford at that time. I loved that van and still have very fond memories of it today. Indeed, camping is my pressure release from quite a demanding job - and one of the key factors is that, in camping, there are no social classes or expected norms - anything goes... There is no need to wash you hair and wear make up everyday. A cap or a festival hat and a hippy dress are fine. How liberating. Or so I thought...



I was reminded of this sorry tale when asked by one of Nick's friends, post purchase, whether we would be buying a Cadac for the van... I have to confess my ignorance as, until this point, I wasn't actually aware of what a Cadac was... Apparently it is a 'must have' gas BBQ that you can hook up to your external van gas supply. For us this 'must have' item was most definitely a 'must not have'... We don't even have a gas BBQ at home! What's the point of a Gas BBQ when have a gas oven and burners in the van! A 'must have' item for us is a plastic "spiky stick" that you can stick in the sand or earth that holds your wine glass steady whilst lying on your rug enjoying the great outdoors 😊



It seems that a number of 'would be' travellers (those that stick to campsites with electric hook up in the uk) are jumping on the band wagon to purchase vans and equipment that 'out do' others through external displays of "in" gear and home comforts, creating a 'home from home'. This is clearly their choice, which is to be respected, and, I am sure, is boosting the income for the industry no end, which is good.



However, camping remains the one classless holiday that virtually everyone can afford and enjoy. We appear not to have 'graduated' in terms of the "in gear" and stick to the staples - a couple of light weight folding chairs, a folding table, folding BBQ and a rug, our preference being to save Fugly's payload for our motorbike and for the kit that enables us to take Fugly off grid, to the out of the way places not touched by an tourism, and enjoy them. If asked whether to choose a Cadac or a fishing rod, my answer would be a fishing rod every time.



The things that symbolise camping, for me, are simplicity and a sense of togetherness. Even as an introvert I enjoy the camaraderie of helping others pitch their new tents for the first time and and tightening neighbours' guy ropes in storms. Let's hope that this doesn't become lost as the 'Jones's' move in. The Jones' may be best advised to remember, in their efforts to 'out do' others, that we all know looks can be deceiving!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb