Day 24 Into Italy!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Baveno
May 26th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 24 Into Italy!
Today we travelled on a glorious sunny day from Interlaken towards Italy and the Lakes, and what a way to arrive.
We drove for about an hour towards the Italian border, when the satnav suddenly said ‘then take the ferry’ Alison checked the map - she said there isn’t a lake or river around here, we both looked again incredulously at the satnav and sure enough, there was even a little picture of a boat. Any way a few kilometres, and a toll both later it dawned on us that we were going to travel on the back of a Train! We proceeded to follow the stream of traffic onto an endless stream of carriages.
We then entered a tunnel, which to say least was a bit scary as it was pitch black, the car was moving, and I held on to the steering wheel - just to feel I had some control . It was more akin to riding on a fairground ride.
We then again headed for what we thought was the Simplon pass for our entry in to Italy, but with even less warning, there was another ride on the car train, this time we were at the very front -even scarier, when we emerged from the dark we were in Italy, and certainly a marked change in scenery, the architectures different as well as the mountain greenery.
We arrived at our new campsite not far from Stresa on the banks of Lake Maggiore. After a quick cup of tea, we cast all cares and went for a swim in the Lake, the campsite had a nice restaurant where I had a Calzone (my favourite) and Alison had breaded lamb cutlets with sauté potatoes washed down with a half litre of wine, lovely. Greedy person here had to have the Tiramisu, well you have to, don’t you?



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Simplon TunnelSimplon Tunnel
Simplon Tunnel

we were at the very front


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb