(Not Jessica) Alba


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Alba
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Not far from Serralunga d'Alba, on the road back towards the highway, is the much larger town of Alba. We decided to stop here for lunch and we are so glad we did! We found a sun-bathed cobblestone pedestrian street full of shops and restaurants to explore. We quickly discovered that Alba is known for its white truffles and the truffle festival is actually going on this month (but closed while we were there, perhaps only open at night?).

A friendly shopkeeper sold us some white truffle gnocchi to make back in Zurich and pointed us in the direction of a wonderful restaurant. I had pasta with porcini mushrooms for lunch and J had a gnocchi with local cheeses. Of course, you can add white truffles to any dish for an additional 40 Euros! J convinced the waiter to give him a half portion of truffles so he emerged from the kitchen with a tangerine sized truffle and a tiny grater. He grated about a quarter of the truffle directly onto the gnocchi where it curled into lovely crescents of intoxicating aroma. It was worth the extra 20 Euros!

As no visit to Italy is complete without it, we stopped at a gelato shop up the street for dessert. The price: 3 Euros for 3 "large" scoops of gelato! (It was 2.40 Euro for 3 "small" scoops, but of course we splurged and spent the extra 0.60!) Hazelnut, dark chocolate, and strawberry for me; lemon, dark chocolate, and almond for J. Perfect.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Truffle FestivalTruffle Festival
Truffle Festival

Yes, that is a large plastic truffle on the car.


15th November 2007

fresh pasta shop
yummmm...i drool. plus truffles! how lovely! gelato...gotta stop drooling... ;)

Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 30; qc: 167; dbt: 0.1551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb