Really Full Day!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
October 4th 2013
Published: October 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Blessing of the AnimalsBlessing of the AnimalsBlessing of the Animals

Not sure the dogs are aware of the solemnity of the event.
We took the Metro underground three times today in order to save our feet and our energy for the specific sights. First, we walked up and down the Grand Canal.

Then, we sat and snacked before taking the metro to the Science Museum, where there was an incredible Leornardo DaVinci. They had used his drawings and actually constructed what he had drawn. I wanted to photograph all of them, but there were too many. The museum was immense! Trains, planes, boats, bikes, early intentions. One could spend days there. Anita found some photos of workers from back in the 40s. We went there for the DaVinci, but discovered way more!

Found a great bar/restaurant that had salads, something we'd been missing.

Took the metro, heading back to the hostel for a late afternoon nap but waylaid by a festival at the neighborhood church. October seems to be the month when they bless the animals because that was what the festival was all about. Anita has discovered the video function on her phone so those of you who live in Seattle will get to see some of the trip in action.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

PlanePlane
Plane

Hope you can read the sign because I have no idea what kind of plane this is.
TrainTrain
Train

Steam train from the 1920s.
BoatBoat
Boat

Sailing ship, not sure what year.
TorpedoTorpedo
Torpedo

WWII self propelled torpedo, I think.
Gun TurretGun Turret
Gun Turret

It said it was off the Andrea Doria.
Finally LeornardoFinally Leornardo
Finally Leornardo

This is a mechanized saw.
BikeBike
Bike

This is a bicycle built for two, side by side, no less. Hope you can see it through the plastic covering.
Grand CanalGrand Canal
Grand Canal

It wasn't as pretty this time as when Sally and I were there on a sunny day a couple years ago, but it was still interesting.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb