Milan and Berlin


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
November 15th 2009
Published: November 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bergamo old townBergamo old townBergamo old town

The part of Bergamo mum and Aunt Anna liked the most was the old town.

One weekend in Milan in Italy



In late winter and early spring this year mum and dad went on two shorter trips on which they let us come along. Each of these only a weekend long so we didn't have time to see very much. But if we put these two trips together we think we have enough exciting stories to tell to make it worth writing.

On the first of these trips we went to Milan and Bergamo in Italy. We were so happy to go back to Italy because we had so much fun last time we were there. We would have preferred to go back to Rome rather than go to Milan and Bergamo because we have unfinished business at Ponte Milvio. Well we have to go to Rome some other time since mum and dad refused to go there this year.

We arrived in Milan together with mum and Aunt Anna. Dad had to spend time at work so he arrived one day later than the rest of us. When we had our "dad-free" day we all went to Bergamo. Bergamo is located in the mountains and from viewpoints we had wonderful views over the town.

The part of
View over BergamoView over BergamoView over Bergamo

Bergamo is located in the mountains and from viewpoints we had wonderful views over the town
Bergamo mum and Aunt Anna liked the most was the old town. We too thought it was nice but the houses were not better or more beautiful than houses in other cities we have been to. What we liked best in this town was a big gun and a real tank that we found at a bastion overlooking Bergamo. We couldn't see any soldiers near this place so we took the opportunity and played with these weapons for a while. The tank was a super nice toy for us. We wanted to play more with it but mum and Aunt Anna insisted that we had to go back to Milan again.

In Milan we saw a whole sea of red and white balloons. Mum thought they were a part of some sort of celebration. We think that maybe they had to do with the football team A.C. Milan. But we don't care much about what the balloons were for. To us it is enough to know that there was a sea of balloons there because a sea of balloons is always a good thing no matter why they are there.

In Milan there is a big church named Duomo.
View over BergamoView over BergamoView over Bergamo

Bergamo is located in the mountains and from viewpoints we had wonderful views over the town
Mum and dad kept called it a cathedral of course because they always keep changing names of things. We say "Hey, look a church!" and they say "It's a cathedral sweethearts" or "Nice try you wonderful little toys but this is a basilica".

This time we challenged mum and dad and asked them the simple question "So what is the difference between a cathedral and a church?".

Mum looked puzzled for a few seconds and then replied "It doesn't matter. You can call it church if you want to".

Dad said "Why can't you toys ask simple questions for a change? Why don't you ask things like 'How does theory of relativity work?' or 'How can a bumblebee fly when the ratio between the surface area of the wings is too small to support the mass of the body?'". So like so many times before, we didn't understand much of dad's answer...

Aunt Anna said "I don't know either and I don't really care. In most cases cathedrals are bigger and more beautiful than churches and that is all that matters to me." Finally an explanation that makes sense. Cathedrals are in most cases bigger and
Big gunBig gunBig gun

What we liked best in Bergamo was a big gun
more beautiful than churches and any other difference between the two is not very important.

As we said before, in the centre of Milan there is a big church called Duomo. It looks like no other church we have ever seen. On the walls there are hundreds of statues and on the roof there is a forest of pinnacles. When we looked at the church we started to think what would happen if the church collapsed. All that would be left then is a heap of pinnacles looking like a gigantic game of Mikado. That would look funny!

We were actually allowed to go up on the roof to have a better look at the statues and pinnacles. While being there we saw something really odd. On a wall there was a Gargoyle that looked just like Donald Duck. We asked him if he was a relative of the famous Hollywood star but he said he wasn't. It is only a coincidence that they look like each other.

We also visited a shopping mall in Milan and on the floor there we saw a mosaic showing the famous statue of the wolf we met in a museum in Rome. If was fun to see her
A real tankA real tankA real tank

We found a real tank at a bastion overlooking Bergamo.
again.

In the mall I (Emma that is) saw something that made me very happy - a shop selling Prada goods. I so much wanted to go into that shop because for a girl toy a Prada shop is like a piece of heaven on Earth! I knew that it was no use asking dad if he could take me there. He would never let me go in. He would probably say "Prada is rubbish for people who have more money than brain". I also knew that is was no point in asking mum take me into the shop because mum loves bags a little too much. If she had found out there was a Prada shop in the mall she would get so excited herself that she would forget all about us. She would run into the shop and not leave until she had bought ten new bags for herself. You know, if they had a pawn shop inside the Prada shop mum's shopping spree could end up in her leaving me and Jean-Claude there in order to get more cash to buy yet another bag or two. Don't get us wrong, mum really loves us. Mum loves
Sea of red and white balloonsSea of red and white balloonsSea of red and white balloons

In Milan we saw a whole sea of red and white balloons.
us and she also loves dad. The problem is, she loves bags more than she loves us and dad together. Jean-Claude and I are still lucky you know. Mum would never let go of us for anything less than a brand new genuine Prada bag. Dad is less lucky. Once mum traded him for a fake Gucci bag made in China! Anyway I knew all too well that trying to persuade mum to take me into the Prada shop would have been a terribly bad idea.

So I needed to get into the shop without the help of dad, because I would not getting any, and without mum even knowing about it. Lucky for me I had on this trip yet one more adult who could help me - Aunt Anna. I asked her if she could sneak me and Jean-Claude into the Prada shop and she did. I looked around the shop for a while but I couldn't afford to buy anything. Neither Aunt Anna nor I are millionaires. But when I become a millionaire I will return to Milan and buy as much as I can carry.

After we had seen the Prada shop we did
A big church in MilanA big church in MilanA big church in Milan

If this big church collapsed they would have the biggest game of Mikado in the World
some more sightseeing. We saw a statue of Leonardo da Vinci and we saw the famous opera house La Scala.

On the last day we visited a place that I (Jean-Claude) liked a lot - a church where they had real bones put up on the walls. San Bernardino alle Ossa is the name of the church and all the bones are human and they are all real. All the bones are put up on shelves and they are protected by steel mesh. Eating bones for a dog is perfectly natural, even for a stuffed dog like me. So for a second or two I started to think what it would be like to chew on one of the bones. But then I realized what I was thinking and felt a bit ashamed. Human bones are not allowed for me to chew on. Hey, mum and dad are humans so eating human bones would make me a ... cannibal??






One weekend in Berlin in Germany



A few weeks after we came back home from Milan we went to Berlin in Germany. We had even less time in Berlin so we did not have
Statue on the churchStatue on the churchStatue on the church

On the walls there are hundreds of statues
time for much sightseeing. But the few things we saw we will write about here.

We saw a church that looked really funny. It had only half a tower and most of the nave was gone too. In spite that the church was less than half of what it should be every tourist took photos of it. We put up a photo of the church mainly because it looks so silly.

The pride of the Berliners is the TV tower. Several people pointed it out to us and said that it is a place we have to visit when we are in Berlin. We admit that it is high. For instance it is higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris and we really thought that was high when we were there. But the Empire State Building in New York is higher and we have been there too!

Over many years one of the most important buildings in Berlin was not the TV tower but the Berlin Wall. It was taken down 20 years ago because they had no use for it anymore. But in various places they have kept sections of the wall so that people can
Donald GargoyleDonald GargoyleDonald Gargoyle

On a wall there was a Gargoyle that looked just like Donald Duck.
go there and get reminded of it. We are not sure exactly why they kept these sections of the wall. Maybe it is because they liked the wall so much and want to keep some parts of it so they at least have some left that reminds them of the good old days when the wall was there and in use. We are happy they kept some of the wall so we could see what it looked like.








Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The wolfThe wolf
The wolf

On the floor in the shopping mall in Milan and there is a mosaic showing the famous statue of the wolf we met in a museum in Rome.
Look! A Prada shop!Look! A Prada shop!
Look! A Prada shop!

Emma: "Who can take me into the Prada shop? Not dad... Uh oh, and not mum! Absolutely not mum! I am going to ask Aunt Anna!"
"Can you take me into the Prada shop?""Can you take me into the Prada shop?"
"Can you take me into the Prada shop?"

Emma: "Aunt Anna? Can you take me and Jean-Claude into the Prada shop? Please?" Aunt Anna: "Are you sure mum and dad don't mind?" Emma: "They don't mind. But don't tell them whatever you do!"
Leonardo da VinciLeonardo da Vinci
Leonardo da Vinci

Statue of Leonardo da Vinci
La ScalaLa Scala
La Scala

The famous opera house La Scala
Milan FCMilan FC
Milan FC

The closest we came to a football game was this.
Lima?!? WeLima?!? We
Lima?!? We

Hey, that's amazing. The metro in Milan goes all the way to Lima. We were in Lima last year. You can check a previous blog entry for our stories from there
Human bonesHuman bones
Human bones

Jean-Claude: "Even a stuffed dog likes to chew on a bone every now and then. These were human ones and consequently they were out of bounds"
We want to stay at this hotel...We want to stay at this hotel...
We want to stay at this hotel...

"Mum! Dad! We want to stay at this hotel. We have heard so much about it. There is even a song written about Hotel California, dad. Please let us stay there..."
A church that looked really funnyA church that looked really funny
A church that looked really funny

We saw a church that looked really funny. It had only half a tower and most of the nave was gone too.
But ESB is higher than thatBut ESB is higher than that
But ESB is higher than that

The pride of the Berliners is the TV tower. But we have seen Empire State Building and that is higher than the TV tower
The Berlin Wall! Can you see us?The Berlin Wall! Can you see us?
The Berlin Wall! Can you see us?

In various places they have kept sections of the wall so that people can go there and get reminded of it.


15th November 2009

Fina saker
Hej! Det är bara Joplin som ser detta, och Jack&Kcaj och de andra kaninerna som är hemma, men Zakje och Sallad är i London. Där har de idag hittat kaninhålor, enter och en hjort. Basilika är ju en krydda, det är ju ingen kyrka! Fniss. Så fånigt. En katedral vet jag inte om jag sett. Prada vet jag inte heller vad det är, vad är det egentligen? Frågade Storkanin om det finns en sådan affär här, men hon sa att det nog inte gör det, och inte hade hon varit i en heller. Men Berlin har jag varit i, det är en väldans stor stad. Affärer har de där med, det vet jag, för Storkanin har alltid kommit hem med saker, som jättestövlar och regnkappa.
16th November 2009

Alltid lika roligt att se på era fina bilder. Blir lite avundsjuk på alla resor ni gör. Hälsningar från Svante
27th November 2009

Basilika är en krydda Åh, så Basilika är en krydda. Då har mamma och pappa bara försökt lura oss tidigare. Det är inte snällt att lura små gosedjur. Man får inte göra så. Men nu vet vi bättre så nu kan vi inte bli lurade igen. Vill du åka tillbaka till Berlin så kan du åka med oss. Mamma och pappa har pratat om att de skall åka tillbaka dit någon gång. Tack för kommentaren. Vi hörs, Emma och Jean-Claude

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb