Milano & The Lakes


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Maggiore
January 29th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DuomoDuomoDuomo

Becky slap bang in the middle
Back In January we went on our first trip to Italy and our first trip out since we returned to the UK in November! We did say that it wouldn't take us long to book a flight to somewhere.......this time to Milan to see our good friend Mar with Liz and Rory as company!

Before we knew it here we were on a cheap Ryanair flight, once arriving in Bergamo airport we picked up our hire car and set up Liz's sat nav to take us to Mars home on Lake Maggiore. We arrived in the dark to cobbled streets crisp winter air and Mar's lovely appartment which a hot drink was greatlfully received! Unfortunately Mar had to work so it was the four of us........

A late night and early morning wake up call due to us silly Englisg folk leaving the shutters on the biggest highest windows I have ever seen open! So we were greated with the morning sunshine full force, I couldn't resist getting out of bed, new place, new things to see!! I was not prepared for what I saw.......

Mar failed to tell us that she lived right on the bloody lake,
MilanoMilanoMilano

Paintings for Sale
the views were unbelievable a pristine still lake with snow capped mountains in the distance with the early morning low lying mist over the water just beautiful! It goes without saying that I promptly woke Stephen up to show him the views!

We all spent the few days going for walks along the lake front, eating yummy goats cheese, pasta and visiting the local markets which were fab! We took a drive into Milan itself one day, it took us around an hour from Lake Maggiore to get there and suprizingly it is a quiet city, we parked easily on the side of a tree lined road and headed off with our ever faithful Lonely Planet guide!

Milan really is full of beautiful people in sunglasses, drinking small coffees at very expensive cafes along the small streets. It struck us that Milan does not have the concrete jungle high rise thing going on, it still has the little streets with shuttered windows and trams passing along side you. As you can see form the pictures we visited the famous Duomo which was stunning! Unfortunatly we could not go to see the last supper as you have to book months in advance as demand is high for obvious reasons......maybe next time!

First impressions of Italy are that it is a wonderful country with friendly people and a delicious food culture that you just can not beat!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

WindowsWindows
Windows

Northern Lakes
BoatsBoats
Boats

Arona
Swiss BoatSwiss Boat
Swiss Boat

Lago Maggiore - Swiss Alps
HotelHotel
Hotel

Varese
MilanoMilano
Milano

Pigeons in Flight
FountainFountain
Fountain

Milano
StatueStatue
Statue

Milano
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

Milano
Cathedrals ClockCathedrals Clock
Cathedrals Clock

Duomo, Milano
DuomoDuomo
Duomo

Milano


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb