When in Rome....


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Como
September 29th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lake Como-Bellisimo!!


Well, I am not in Rome, but an Italian phrase....Paese che vai, usanza che trovi! Where you go, follow customs. So, I have been eating and drinking wine. I was so starved in Germany/Austria eating pretzels and such, now I eat pizza, gelati, etc. Yummy! Lake Como is beautiful as ever and the weather was better than the last time I was there. But, there was sooooo many Americans or English speaking people, I forgot I was in Italy!! I think we have George Clooney to blame for that. He put Lago di Como on the map. It was rainy in the morning one day, but cleared up. I took some good sunset pictures.

The last night we ended up going to this bar that I remember from last time called La Divinia Comedia. It was empty with the exception of three beautiful Polish girls. Of course, that got Duong's attention! lol
So we ended up staying and partying with them all night. How fun! Towards the end of the night, two Italian locals came over too and we all hung out until the lights came on for last call and we had to move out into the street. We
Duong hanging outDuong hanging outDuong hanging out

Right near the water...
said our goodbyes and went to bed. We were leaving the next morning, so we needed to get sleep.
After breakfast, we took the ferry back to Como, not realizing it was the extra scenic route. so it took us two hours, luckily the train schedule allowed us to still make our train. After changing trains in Milan, we got on a train to Florence before heading to Siena, our last train.

We did not arrive into Siena until 1830 and the bed and breakast we were staying in closed their doors at 1930! We could not figure out what bus to take. We met a young English-speaking Milanese that was in Siena to attend the university here, which by the way was founded in the late 1200's! She helped us figure out the bus and called our hotel to tell them we would be late.

When we found the restaurant near the b&b we were staying (thanks to Duong's GPS), we retrieved the key they were holding from us and approached the big black door with an envelope "McElroy" taped to the door. Inside was a large brass key ring with four keys. We found the one that opened the big door and then figured out there was another door which looked to be a lobby. The number on our key was "10", so I followed the logic that our room was 10 and sure enough once we figured out where 10 was, tada!! We had two keys left. We found the one! I Love this place! It is super cute with art hanging on the walls, including the Mona Lisa! Which I have to say is way cooler than the one hanging the Louvre--and it is right outside our door, along with Michelangelo and Raphael.

So, we had a little bit of time to explore. We were not far from Piazza Campo which was beautiful. I knew even in the nighttime light that this was going to be a beautiful town full of wonderful, ancient architecture and history!! I couldn't wait until morning!






Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The view through my eyesThe view through my eyes
The view through my eyes

The reflection in my sunglasses
Are we lost?Are we lost?
Are we lost?

Duong examing GPS to see where we are in the "jungles" of Menaggio
A great view from BellagioA great view from Bellagio
A great view from Bellagio

There was beautiful gardens and flowers in this area
Dinner townDinner town
Dinner town

There was so, so many Americans eating here!!
They used many mushroomsThey used many mushrooms
They used many mushrooms

At this restaurant


Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb