Italy, Riomaggiore Day 1


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria
May 9th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

RiomaggioreRiomaggioreRiomaggiore

The street from our balcony
We took the 12.05 train from Milano to La Spezia then a local train to Riomaggiore where we were met by Maddy who took us to our room at Il Boma. It is a small B&B on the steep main street with many steps inside to the various levels. We have a balcony to look at the street life below and around us. People across the narrow street talk and you can listen in – if you can understand the lingo. One guy seemed to think we all needed to listen to him playing the piano and he isn’t very good!
The houses are piled one into the other onto steep hill sides. We had time to walk on an upper street through to overlooking the sea which is crystal clear. Then down to the very small harbour with boats for hire. The main street has many cafes, bars, gelato bars, souvenir shops and restaurants. Old men sit and talk and women hang out windows people watching. It is certainly very different from NZ.
There are many walkers about and no shortage of Australians and Kiwis it would seem. The five villages of the Cinque Terre are a National Park so the whole area is well marked with it’s heritage preserved for the future.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb