Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria
May 8th 2011
Published: May 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The plane trip to Malpensa Airport, Milano, was the usual extremely long and boring trip. However, Emirates treated us well with good food, service and over 500 channels of entertainment. The route was Nelson 2pm Saturday/Auckland/Sydney/Dubai, Malpensa, arriving 12.00 midnight on Sunday, New Zealand time. There was one light relief in that we saw “Renee” of “Allo Allo” at Sydney airport having to strip off some of his clothes because he kept setting off the security buzzer. It was tempting to say “Ooh-Ooh, Renee, vat ees thees we see?”
The Shuttle bus from Malpensa costing E7.50 took us into the Central Railway Station. The Stazione Hotel was only a short bag haul from the station. It was a perfectly comfortable 2 star hotel with only 10 rooms.
Despite being very tired, we did a walk from this area down to the Old Town and back. This being a Sunday, everyone was out and about. It is a city of apartment dwellers so heaven only knows what there is to do all day except wander about or perhaps take a car or train out of town for the day. There are open spaces with trees but they are hardly our version of parks and gardens. The grass is not mown, there is a fair bit of litter about, the gardens are not pristine and there is a lot of graffiti. Add to this the general layabouts from other countries lurking around the station area and trying to sell junk it will be a good place to move on from. Just another big city. BUT, no doubt if there was more time we would have been able to visit some worthwhile places around the city where there seems to be some great old architecture.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb