Keeping it real


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Sanremo
July 30th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Milano Jen, Michael and I told George that we hadn't quite finished with Italia, so being the ever accommodating tour guide he did his research and booked accommodation for us on the Italian Rivera, telling me he'd 'found this great place and it's cheap!....can't go wrong, it's the Italian Rivera after all! As we were on our way to France to catch up with the Tour de France, everyone was happy with this destination, Sanremo is very close to the French border, and right next to Monaco! Should be great!

We arrived in Sanremo late in the afternoon and keen to check into our accommodation for the night as George had gone all out and booked us a 'grand hotel'. It was probably grand back in about 1950!! Same era as Sanremo may have been a great place to holiday. Think of the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, it wasn't quite that, but.......what could we say, George had delivered on our request for one more night in Italy! We arrived about 5.30pm and we were immediately making plans to check out by 8.00am the next morning, on record as our shortest hotel stay so far!

I
Gnocchi con crema fontinaGnocchi con crema fontinaGnocchi con crema fontina

Winner best gnocchi
couldn't stop giggling, it was hilarious! We must have had the luxury suite as we had a window in our very grotty bathroom....George and Jen did not! At the same time the feeling that this place could be haunted wouldn't leave my thoughts either.

Still, it's all good, we are on holidays!

Finding the positives, Jen had the best gnocchi of the Italy visit in Sanremo - gnocchi con crema fontina, and George had another 'kick arse' calzone plus tiramisu to top it all off and of course red wine! We didn't eat together that night, so our meal wasn't anything too great..we shared a pizza and salad and I was having an alcohol free day....boring!

FYI ...Sanremo is well known for the pasta and pasta sauce we buy in AUS! And this is where they hold their Eurovision heats to decide Italy's entry ...probs why they never win!

So there you go, if you think we are swanning about in luxury this whole trip, we aren't always....much to 3 out of 4 peoples disgust, on that particular day anyway!

But it was very very funny, and we will laugh about it always!

Thanks for keeping it real Pordgie!!

PS: we left Sanremo by 9am the next morning, and were in Monaco 30 minutes later. Monaco is a place Jen had always wanted to visit, it's very grand, luxury yachts moared in the harbour, beautiful people everywhere, we found the famous casino and had fun people watching. We stopped for lunch at Cannes, then drove to Narbonne for an overnight stay, before becoming le tour groupies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mirror ballMirror ball
Mirror ball

At the front of the casino


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb