Salvatori's expo of Michelangelo's David in Palazzo Ducale


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Genoa
February 9th 2021
Published: February 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Head in terracottaHead in terracottaHead in terracotta

As part of the Andrea Salvatori exhibition located in Palazzo Ducale, Piazza de Ferrari, Genoa.
Salvatori and Michelangelo in Genoa.

Michelangelo Buonarrotti is considered to be one of the greatest Renaissance artists. He is particularly famous for his painting of the Sistine Chapel ceiling in 1508. He is also famous for sculptures of heads of the biblical hero David, of which there are many copies around Florence especially.

Just inside of Palazzo Ducale, located in Piazza De Ferrari in Genoa, there is part of Andrea Salvatori's exhibition which shows the head of David. Andrea Salvatori is a modern sculptor.

In 2018 during a stay in Montelupo Fiorentino, which is a town famous for ceramics and located very near to Empoli, Salvatori made a few big heads of the David by Michelangelo, out of terracotta.

The head in this exhibition is one of those heads, which are turned upside down, carved inside and shift the face of David, into a classic garden vase.

The David, as well as other icons from the Renaissance, have often featured in Salvatori's ceramic works. He has always been interested in the manipulation of traditional images from the past, from popular culture and from myths and fantasy stories.

â– References

Michelangelo Buonarrotti
Andrea Salvatori
Renaissance sculpture
Sistine Chapel 1508
Sculpture of David's head
The David
Montelupo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb