Day 2: Drowned Rats in Riomaggiore


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre » Riomaggiore
April 8th 2013
Published: April 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

P1010043P1010043P1010043

Tunnel to Riomaggiore from the train station
We woke up this morning to the sound of pouring rain! It was bucketing down! Great day to begin our walks between the Cinque Terre towns! We looked at the weather forecast and it said 88% chance of rain for the entire day. Right - Plan B! Plan B involved a lazy am of looking at diff walking routes for when it is fine and doing a bit of trip organisation from bed! I went out to bring back breakie to have in bed. There was no one out and about except locals who were speaking very fast Italian. I have a feeling a few of them were actually speaking to me but no idea! Hope I wasn't rude! I got us a couple of expresso machiattos (which Ben claimed was the closest thing to a latte) and the were literally the size of shot glasses with a wee dollop of milk in each! Wayyy too strong for me! I also go us a calzone each and we shared a yummy coconut scroll in bed spreading coconut everywhere on my part! We had to email Ivo (our host) and tell him that the heating hadnt worked the night before and we had no hot water!! So he came over quick smart and apparently there was a problem with the boiler which thankfully had a quick fix. He was lovely and so apologetic! We were both just so grateful to be able to have hot showers! Ben had already attempted a relatively unsuccessful wipedown, while I flat out refused to have a cold shower and decided id rather stay dirty!

We left our lil, now warm hotel about 11.30 and wandered around Vernazza in the absolutely pissing down rain and ended up in many souvineer shops pretty much just to escape form the rain! We found a gorgeous print of a painting if Vernazza which we bought to add to our painting collection of places we have been and loved 😊

We got on the train to Riomaggiore, the last town of 5, and ran into the info centre for 15mins and just stood waiting in there till the heaviness of the rain eased a lil. Well it didnt much so we left and got soaked anyway! We made our way into the town which was very small. Much more housing here than Vernazza but a smaller centre of town.
P1010046P1010046P1010046

Yummy pizza to share again for lunch!
After walking for about 20 mins, saturated I decided it was time to buy about our 50th umbrella since we have been away travelling in the past few years! A nice purple one which we have named Jensy! Unfortunately at this point we were so so wet it didnt make much difference but im sure it will come in handy later! We found a lil restaurant for lunch which was steamed up and gave the impression it was warm which was a winner so in we went. The place was called Veciu Muin and they had the best service and pretty good pizza also. The waiter was so friendly and was doing the moonwalk and skidding around the wet floor for us having so much fun! Makes such a difference with people that actually love their job! After we semi de-thawed we headed back out into the rain with Jensy and started exploring. We walked all round the place taking some pretty grey but cool pics of the village. Looks pretty similar to Vernazza with all the colourful housing and all set on cliff fronts! Crazy! We were gutted to see that the Lovers Walk was closed between Manarola and
P1010050P1010050P1010050

We were drowned rats so bought yet another umbrella! We named her Jensy!
Riomaggiore cos it is meant to be amazing. We took some pics of the walk from afar and of all the lovers locks that have been put on the gate, similar to in Paris!

After decided we had seen the whole village and captured it pretty well considering how wet and cold it was, we jumped back on the train to Vernazza to go home and have hot showers. We popped into our lil breakie place on the way and got a box of cornflakes and what we hope is milk to have for the next few mornings! Once we had showered (which I will claim is very close to being the best shower of my life! It was a dream! 😊) we looked up trip advisor to find somewhere to go for dinner. Not many options in Vernazza and while last night we sat in the sun and had a gorgeous view, the food was very average. So we headed out back in the rain to Il Pirata delle Cinque Terre (Number 1 in Vernazza) and it deserved its rating! The service was brilliant with such passionate waiters who were brothers and the system was a well oiled machine! He was telling us how they are famous for their breakfasts and desserts and in summer the place is just packed and you have to order breakfast pasteries in advance! We will def be going back on our last day for breafast cos it sounds amazing! We got the best bruschetta I have ever had - no onions and just tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto! Then I had gnocchi with pesto and Ben had their famous lasagne with meat sauce. Both were so so yummy! We were stuffed full and so happy with the whole dinner experience! Highly recommend this place!

Despite the crappy crappy weather today, all in all we had a really good day and so far are loving Cinque Terre! Now bring on some sun! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

P1010065P1010065
P1010065

Riomaggiore marina
P1010091P1010091
P1010091

Mary Poppins shots had to happen today
P1010094P1010094
P1010094

And some lunges


9th April 2013

Great pics
Oh dear, bet you thought you left the wet weather behind you in Edinburgh. Keep the pictures coming, looks like a very pretty little place. Portlands having some amazing weather, fine sunny and quite warm, suppose it can't too much longer. We had Kat and Norm here for the last 4 days, had one day up at Mt. Eccles, we did lots of "hiking" around the mountain and lake.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb