Five Little Villages on the Sea


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre » Manarola
October 19th 2006
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Marina of RiomaggioreThe Marina of RiomaggioreThe Marina of Riomaggiore

We stayed here, the first "terre", tiny town on the water's edge.
Cinque Terre is on the northwestern coast of Italy, five small villages connected by a 12km walking trail. Each village is unique, and the entire area is surrounded by local farmland and protected by the government to maintain this amazing place.

We stayed in the first, or southernmost, "terre", Riomaggiore, in a small hostel. The town is seriously tiny and is built into the side of the cliffs. Only two shops to buy food, and they closed from 3-6pm each day. Very "local" here, except for the thousands of tourists who visit each year.

Our first evening we just hung around town, walked by the marina and small beach, watched the sunset, met our roommates in the hostel.

The next day we spent walking the trail. There are no cars in the towns, the only way to get to and from them is the train. We rode it to the last town, Monterosso, to begin the hike. Quite hilly and actually more of a workout than we planned! Through local farmers' land with olive trees and small vineyards, spectacular views of the sea below the cliffs.
We stopped in each town to look around and get photos. The
The bay in RiomaggioreThe bay in RiomaggioreThe bay in Riomaggiore

A nice spot to watch the sunset
first two sections were definitely more difficult than the last two, and we later learned that many people skip the first one all together, though that was our favorite!

The towns are literally something you would see on a postcard, colorful buildings--pinks, yellow, oranges, and splashes of green and blue all over, little shops, everything is just so "cute".

A great day, and we ended it with coffee and wine at a restaurant back in our town overlooking the marina and out to sea. This is somewhere you should NOT miss if you are going to Italy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Early morning sun in Cinque TerreEarly morning sun in Cinque Terre
Early morning sun in Cinque Terre

This view greeted us when we stepped of the train in Monterosso
The beach of MonterossoThe beach of Monterosso
The beach of Monterosso

Where we began our little jaunt
Vernazza , the second terreVernazza , the second terre
Vernazza , the second terre

See how far down it looks? We had to walk up before we could get to this high point to walk down. Isn't it beautiful?
Heidi sweating on the hikeHeidi sweating on the hike
Heidi sweating on the hike

Walking up and down through the olive groves is gorgeous, but I was hot!
Taking a break to pose ourselves for a self-portraitTaking a break to pose ourselves for a self-portrait
Taking a break to pose ourselves for a self-portrait

Honestly, it was much steeper than this photo suggests!
Cornigula, the third terreCornigula, the third terre
Cornigula, the third terre

The only town actually situated entirely above the water. We ate our lunch we'd packed sitting on a ledge high on the cliff.
Manarola, our fourth stopManarola, our fourth stop
Manarola, our fourth stop

From here it was a short walk on the pathway above the water to get back to our place.
Wine after the hikeWine after the hike
Wine after the hike

The perfect ending to our day. I think I was tipsy after one glass!
The restaurant on the corner above the seaThe restaurant on the corner above the sea
The restaurant on the corner above the sea

The end (or beginning) of the walking path is behind it, the train runs below. The most surprising thing is that this was the cheapest place in the town!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb