Tarquinia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Tarquinia
May 22nd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TarquiniaTarquiniaTarquinia

The entrance to the tombs.
With a sad heart, we said goodbye to Proceno this morning and headed to the Rome airport to catch a flight to London. The good news was that I didn’t have to say goodbye to Mom and Lynn quite yet.

We had decided that we wanted to do one more stop before we got on the plane, so we stopped about halfway to Rome at Tarquinia. This is a spot famous for its Etruscan burial grounds and it is a great place to wander around. We started with a picnic in which we finished off everything that we had bought during the week and hadn’t quite eaten yet. We did end up with two extra bottles of wine that Mom tried her best to get through Rome security, but didn’t quite make it. I like to think the customs guys had a small party that evening on us.

Anyway, we scrambled around the ruins for a while and looked at some of the frescos. They were fabulous and very interesting. It is incredible to think that they have been there since before the birth of Christ.

We eventually got to the airport only to discover that the air
TarquiniaTarquiniaTarquinia

The buildings set up to protect the tombs.
traffic controllers had been on strike since 10:00 that morning. Luckily, BA got its planes in and we were able to get safely to London, albeit a tad later than we had anticipated.

We had one final wonderful Italian moment. As we knew the wait was going to be a while, I suggested that we wait in the BA lounge. Now, I am a silver member so I am allowed to go into the lounge at any time and bring one person along with me. Problem was, there were three of us. The young woman sitting behind the desk said with a smile, “I’ll bet that they are not this accommodating in London!” as she waved us through. I love the Italian attitude towards rules!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

TarquiniaTarquinia
Tarquinia

Not the greatest photo, but you get a sense of how far down into the ground these are.
TarquiniaTarquinia
Tarquinia

The countryside looking out from the tombs.
Goodness!Goodness!
Goodness!

Not too easy to see, but if you look closely, you will see that those Etruscans really knew how to have a good time!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb