Politics in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 20th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

Outside our apartment on the way to the Metro stop, we pass by a long string of advertising signs. The signs are different every time we pass by. It seems that one candidate will cover a long stretch of the signs with a series of identical paper posters, only to have them shredded or covered over with another candidate's signs before the day is over. The signs we see in the mornings as we are going out for the day are different than the ones we see in the evening when we are coming back to our apartment.

The country has regional elections coming up March 28-29 and Premier Berlusconi's party has been excluded from the election in Rome because, basically, they didn't get the paperwork in on time. We've heard (mostly) and seen (a little) of the political demonstrations. The one we heard today was down near the river when we were up on Castel Sant'Angelo. The one we heard on Friday evening was a block over from where we were walking with our tour leader on the way to the next enoteche. The guide said that the demonstrations could get bad, but she didn't seem worried about it. It was over by the time we were ready to look for a taxi and head back to the apartment.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb