Day 11 - Rome/Vatican City


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 6th 2016
Published: May 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning we had a bit of a sleep in, we had breakfast we bought from the supermarket in our apartment and then went for a short walk around Rome. We then had a coffee at our favourite place and scored some free biscuits! After our coffee we started our first tour where we went to Vatican City. So technically we went to a different country today! We met our tour guide Flavia Pompeii (very Italian), she picked us up from the apartment and then took us to Vatican City. The city was amazing, we managed to skip the line and get in there quickly, but we got held up outside the museum as it was blocked off as the Pope had decided to use the Sistine Chapel for a few hours. We were finally allowed through but the waiting was terrible as we had to stand still like a pack of sardines for over an hour in the hot sun. We were relieved once we got in the shadows and we're able to cool down again. We walked through the corridors of some of the best art I have ever seen including paintings, sculptures and tapestry. We then finally got to the Sistine chapel which had the beautiful work of the famous Michael Angelo. After that we managed to go to St Peter's Basilica which is the most beautiful Basilica I have ever seen! We were allowed in one of the doors which apparently only opens every 25years! My mouth was open for ages as I took in beauty of it all as I didn't get to see it last time I came to Rome! It was the end of the trip but I think the best was saved till last as your mind can't even comprehend how something like that can be made and can be so beautiful! After our tour we bought some more food for breakfast the next day, Pete bought a hat and then went out for dinner (with free champagne and limoncello!). Today was amazing, so much history and beauty all in one place! Anyway time to get some sleep so Ciao for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb