Rome: Italy's beautiful capital


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 15th 2015
Published: September 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rome, Italy


There are cities that are modern, fashionable, shiny or trendy, but there is only one that is Eternal. Founded on a majestic location, on the banks of the Tiber River and between seven hills it was a city all great leaders wanted as their crown seat. For centuries it was the capital of the Old World, and even after the fall of the Great Roman Empire it still retained the world´s attention by attracting many talented and world renowned artists. All those historical events left marks in Rome, and made it a city with the most diverse cultural heritage in the world.

Urbanism

Rome is located some 24 km from the sea on a flatland interrupted by several hills. Two rivers cross the city; the Tiber divides the city center on the east from the Vatican on the west, while the Aniene flows into the Tiber north of the center. The metropolitan area of Rome owes its immense size (1,285 km) to the low density of its disperse peripheral neighborhoods, built quite differently from the compact dense city center. Since many antique historical sites of great importance are located inside the center, urban planners cannot conceive any kind of infrastructure improvement. The urban grid is chaotic, streets are curvy and narrow and traffic jams are, logically, a common thing.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-rome-italy-the-biggest-flow/


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb