Arrived in Rome -- What a way to start!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 4th 2015
Published: June 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The flight from home to Rome was smooth but long. Wished I could have gotten a bit more sleep, but the person behind me must have been assembling a bike or something. Noise and feeling was ongoing for 9 hours. Never figured out what was going on...

After a 30 minute train ride (and chatting with the nicest Dutch couple about everything from the weather to ringtones), I arrived at Termini Station, Rimes central depot. Andrew warned me about swarms of crafty pickpockets, but none were to be found. After walking some time in what is more accurately described as going the much longer way rather than getting lost, I found the bed and breakfast. Unfortunately, no one was here, so I wandered some more in the getting hotter by the minute day. After an hour, I returned, and about 30 minutes later the owner arrived and checked me in. Room is Spartan but clean. Andrew arrived about 30 minutes later. So incredibly good to see him! After a month in Italy, he has become quite the expert on Italian culture and food, and he has picked up a surprisingly high level of speaking Italian.

We had some great sandwiches, followed by Andrew showing me the sights that he loved: the Coliseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, the capital building, the Vatican, and many neighborhoods, cafes, and piazzas. During our long, hot walk Andrew shared countless stories about his May adventures. Every second was great fun.

After an amazing pasta dinner and follow up gelato, we headed toward the B&B. On the way we spotted a large crowd and barricades in front of one of the many old and beautiful churches, so naturally we checked it out. It was a celebration of Corpus Christi, with a large outdoor gathering, choir, and a procession of cardinals, bishops, priests, and many others. It was all so moving. But the biggest surprise of all was arrival of the pop himself! He gave a blessing, then all the dignitaries went inside. All the while, a reporter from Vatican news was interviewing Andrew and I about our reactions. The whole thing was surreal but amazing!

We are back at the B&B getting ready for bed. Tomorrow we tour ancient Rome so hope to have lots of pictures. In the meantime, here are some from today. Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb