Roman Forum and Colosseo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 21st 2015
Published: April 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are growing concerned that the viewership of our blog is dwindling ... those of you who are still reading, please tell those non-reading losers to get with the program. Let's get that viewership up, and let's comment!

In Rome we are staying in the Camp de Fiori, an ancient square that has been home to a large fruit and vegetable market for centuries.

This morning we explored the market, buying some provisions, but also making lists of items we seek to acquire in the future.

After exploring the market, we decided to visit ancient Rome ... the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hills and the Colosseo (the Coliseum to those who are less proficient in Italian than we are).

The Forum is an archeological site in central Rome that has slowly but surely been excavated since the middle of eighteenth century.

We asked Jeff how long it would take to tour the entire site. Jeff said it usually takes between 90 minutes and two hours ... WE WERE THERE FOR OVER FIVE HOURS!

Fuzz and Mel where enthralled by the place. Trying to figure out what all the ruins were used for, and how they were built. The speculation ran wild. It was a fun afternoon.

Adjacent to the Forum are the Palatine Hills, a cool and breezy hilltop over looking the Forum. From this vantage point, the Emperor and the other leaders of ancient Rome could overlook their dominions.

Because we took so much time at the Forum, it was late in the afternoon before we reached the Colosseo. It was at this point that Jeff informed us that he had to leave us to go pick up tickets for a Papal Audience later in the week ... and so there we were ... unsupervised and alone ... in the wilds of Rome.

We were up to the challenge. We toured the Colesseo, located a taxi, and made our way back to the Campo de Fiori, where Jeff found us, safe and sound, sipping cocktails in the afternoon sun.

We needed the rest in the sun. Over the last two days, we have hiked over 13 miles.

We had a nice dinner and went to bed early, because on Wednesday we have to get up early. We are .


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



24th April 2015

still here!!!
Still enjoy reading all blogs! The ruins are gorgeous, what a romantic area! Jeff, still wondering if you are really there, haven't seen you in any pictures!!
25th April 2015

Keep it coming!
Enjoying the blog! Did you get a chance to catch a snooze on the roof of the Vatican? Looks like everybody is having a great time. Say ciao to Grazie!
26th April 2015
Forum At Night

There is so much to see in Rome! I'm glad you get to experience it! I'm guessing Malcolm and Dick found the architecture quite amazing!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb