Overland 1972 - Day 18


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 29th 1972
Published: March 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 18 - Wednesday 29th February

A full day in Rome and with so many sights it seemed best to buy a guidebook - 600 Lira. First of all, must head to Poste Restante to collect any post (good there were three letters) and post off the completed film (alas no developed photographs were ever received).

Places visited: Spanish Steps - not over impressed although a nice fountain and lots of artists to watch. Trevi Fountain - grand structure but slightly spoilt as unfortunately there was no water ! Victor Emmanuel Monument - a gleaming grand structure and really impressive. Walked to the top for an excellent view. Roman Forum - closed but some areas were visible through the hoardings. Capitol - government headquarters in old Rome and of course, the Romulus and Remus statue. Colosseum - although looked very dilapidated from a distance, there was plenty to see. You could walk to the top level and admire a marvellous view of the ancient circus and the cells for the animals and gladiators before they did battle. Pantheon - tomb of Victor Emmanuel and Raphael. Huge inside and very impressive. Outside was another Egyptian obelisk and hoardes of street vendors !

A brilliant day and well worth the effort.

Back to the Hostel for dinner. Had a chat with an Australian backpacker who was heading to UK for work on the next stage of his adventure. The Hostel was very cold again and so I brought my Spaceman's Blanket into use - downside is that it produces condensation but at least it keeps you warmer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb