Europa Day 45


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 26th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 45

Off to the Vatican today. On the way we are going to visit the Castel Sant'Angelo. This is a forts type building just on the corner of St Peters square. It used built back in the 1st century as a burial place for Kings, etc. and also as a place for popes to live later on. It was also used as a prison for one of the popes who was captured by the invading troops from somewhere or other and held in this place.

Lots of ramps and steps later we are at the top. A very hot day so being inside is a good thing. We wander around here for over and hour or two. Then it is time to head off to our meeting place for our Vatican tour. They say we will skip the lines. Ok, my skeptical side says we will see.

Meet our guide, Paulo, who kits us up with a speaker system. We cross the road and go straight in - ok, I lose there. Get inside the security area where there are lots of people and groups milling around waiting for tickets, etc. Finally we go up the stairs and in through the turnstiles. People everywhere.

Paulo takes us up the escalator to the top and then over to the gardens to show us the dome of St Peters basilica from what he calls the best angle. The tour seems good and Paulo's descriptions are very good and also include quite a bit of banter as well.

We go through the museums and then into a courtyard where they have lots of boards with photos of the Sistine chapel. Guides use these to explain all of the art work outside as they aren't allowed to speak in the actual chapel.

Finally into more of the museums and then get to the Sistine chapel.. Long lines to get there, then an incredible mass of people standing inside. Paulo takes us to a quiet area and is able to tell us a bit without being yelled at by the guards. Amazing place and hard to take it all in.

Eventually leave here and go to the basilica where the official your ends. He gives us lots of tips about what to look for in the basilica and we say farewell. A good tour and yes, we did skip the lines so money well spent.

Into the basilica and amazed by the size and grandeur of this place. They have letters around the walls that are 6ft high. Then there is a canopy over the middle altar that is 6 stories high and still nowhere near the height of the roof of this place. Huge.......

Eventually leave after being stunned by the art work, lights coming from the windows, and just the size if the place.

Walk back then do tea. Ordered baked lamb and guess what - lamb chops. Bloody nice though. A walk to the Pantheon for the night views. A drink in the piazza and then back to the hotel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb