When in Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 1st 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a bit of surfing looking at where I could go for a reasonable amount of euro Rome won out. Having pretty much surrounded it in previous incarnations around Europe now the time was right to drop on in and see what it had to offer. As sad as it sounds, due to an unfortunate set of circumstances I’ve ended up spending a week in Rome. Not having researched it at all before I was having a bit of a stab in the dark as far as where to stay and what to do. That’s where working for Italians comes into play. Stay near Termini they say, it’s close to the Metro and the Metro will get you wherever you need to go. Oh and there’s this great little wine bar if you hang a left after the D&G shop at the Spanish Steps. All helpful tips really, so I booked a little place near the Termini and jumped on the bird to Rome. Ok so you know it’s a small world when you’re on the bird and you hear an Australian accent and you look up and recognise the person. Scary but true, one of the women that was on that little island nation in the Pacific when I was there was on the same plane with her husband just finishing up a little European sojourn.

One of the things that you appreciate when you arrive in a strange country is the ease at which you can get from the airport to where you’re spending the night. Yep Rome meets all the criteria, sure the train is a little shabby but it goes straight from the airport to Termini which was just a short walk to the hotel. The not so dodge hotel that I’m calling home for the week is more like a studio apartment which is impressive for Europe, but as angry eyes says I tend to land on my feet better than a feline plummeting from the third floor.

Rome isn’t a bad place to get around either, it’s as simple as grabbing a weekly ticket for 16 euro and away you go on every form of public transport they have. Try doing that in any Australian city, impossible. Every hotel and tourist info place in town also has this wonderful free map that they hand out. It’s got everything on it that you need, plus more. It’s all getting easier by the minute, plus you even feel safe here wondering the streets, sure there’s all the talk of pickpockets and the like but if you walk near those with their backpacks on their fronts it’s like having decoys all around you.

Now liking the vino and the café makes for an even happier Rome experience. Unfortunately on the way to Termini from the Hotel there’s a nice little café that serves up a very nice macchiato and croissant (there’s a word for it in Italian and I still have no idea what it is or how to pronounce it) for less than 2 euros. With a bit of aimless wondering I’ve managed to come across a couple of places that have been worth the return visit. A little trattoria that served up some of the most delish pasta and the infamous wine bar down the road from D&G. The little place across the road from the hotel had a delish spaghetti vongole and waiters that looked like they were training for the Olympics given the speed that they moved around. But after a couple of hit outs there I worked out that spaghetti vongole was probably the only thing worth getting from there. Oh and did I mention the unfortunate placement of a gelato bar right next door to the hotel.

Next stop it’s off to impersonate the Jamaican bobsled team.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Vespas everywhereVespas everywhere
Vespas everywhere

A little too much gluttony occurred here, twice.
The stairs up the inside of the copulaThe stairs up the inside of the copula
The stairs up the inside of the copula

Climbing 300 plus stairs between the inner and outer shell of the copula gets you to the top.
It wouldn't be Italy.......It wouldn't be Italy.......
It wouldn't be Italy.......

if you couldn't get a nice espresso on the roof of St Peters Basilica
The MAXXIThe MAXXI
The MAXXI

Rome's answer to a museum of modern art, very impressive. Especially the Indian Highway exhibition.
The line up to the ColosseumThe line up to the Colosseum
The line up to the Colosseum

What they don't tell you is if you go down the road and buy a multi ticket you're straight in the door. Didn't think that the Colosseum was all that impressive anyway.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb