Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 7th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rome


Wednesday 22nd June 2011

Into Rome by courtesy bus and train - today is going to be a hot one !
As luck ( rather than good planning ) would have it we decided to take the tube and visit St Peter's first. Unknown to us Wednesday is the day the Pope addresses the crowds in St Peter's Square and arriving at 10:50 for an 11:00 start could not have been timed better.

With the heat in the mid 30's we decided to give the long queue for the Vatican museum and Sistine chapel a miss and head over to the ancient city.

However along came a 'hop on hop off' bus and we 'hopped on'.
From Max's perspective a good idea ( no route march and sat in the sun on the top deck ), From mine a big mistake - stuck in Rome's 'eternal' traffic whilst seeing very little of the city and melting in the midday heat on the top deck.
Finally we 'hopped off' at the Colosseum substantially lighter in the pocket and suffering from dehydration ! That's the last time I get taken for a ride on one of those.

Taking the guidebook's advice to avoid the queues we visited the Palatine first enjoying great views of the city and the 'life saving' water fountains dotted around.

On to the forum where the 'action' took place in ancient times. Here my imagination ran riot having recently read ROMA a novel of ancient Rome by Steven Saylor.
On to the spectacular Colosseum itself - which just blows you away - what sights this place must have seen.

By now the boys were Rome'd out so back to site to take advantage of the superb swimming pool after the city's oven like heat.

Thursday 23rd June 2011

Today was originally planned for further sight seeing in Rome but given yesterday's experience and today's similar temperatures we decided to 'stay home' do some schoolwork and lie by the pool.

In the evening Max and I enjoyed an lovely meal in the excellent restaurant on site.
We sat overlooking the pool and surrounding countryside in the warm evening air, a chilled glass of prosecco in hand - perfect.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



25th July 2011

Rome visit
Paul et al (a bit of Latin!), Rome looks fantastic. I'm there in October so would like to pick your brain when you are back. I hope getting back isn't too big a shock..! Let me know when you are back and we'll have a curry.. Paul.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb