Day 13 - Paris to Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 18th 2009
Published: August 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We flew with EasyJet from Paris Orly to Rome Ciappino today.

On leaving Paris, a few thoughts. I was given advice that the Parisians and French were arrogant and that if you did not speak the language or at least try they would not help you. I found them open and friendly. I don’t speak French much beyond hello, goodbye, please, thankyou etc, and found that they would speak English without concern. In Paris they seem a very friendly people on the most part. Unfortunately the city is full of grafters who are trying to get money off you. These extend from basic beggars (who are dressed well and in new/clean looking clothes) to others who try more creative cons. There are also a lot of pickpockets (given the number of signs around) but we didn’t see any in Paris. This sours an otherwise lovely city with art, culture, wonderful gardens, nice people and a big tower in the middle.

On in Rome arrival we chose the option of a taxi to our hotel even though we were quoted 55 Euro for the trip. Before coming to Rome I was told the traffic was hectic, and the Taxi drivers “creative” in their driving. Well our first experience proved this to be correct. The driver hit 160kph along the Autostrata and then narrowly avoided a major accident (I believe by only inches. The 2 drivers then stopped side by side, got out and had an animated argument in the middle of the road. Actually, can 2 Italians have anything but an animated argument? :-) Fortunately we survived with only a fright and don’t need to take another taxi while we are here.

We were finally delivered to Hotel Morgana and found our room around 2:30pm.

After finding a cafe selling Pizza slices for a late lunch, we chose to spend the afternoon in our air conditioned hotel room (it was 35C outside) reading tour brochures, working our movements over the next few days, and generally relaxing. Well Lynn got to relax, while I ventured out to try to find a replacement for our International ower adaptor which had died. I walked through a myriad of stores and after an hour or so finally found one.

We plan to find a meal at a local cafe and spend a night in tonight, before hitting the streets of Rome tomorrow. After a busy few days in Paris, it’s time to rest for at least one evening before starting the sightseeing in Rome.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb