Hadrians Villa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 10th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was a public transit adventure to get out to this beautiful and large villa designed by Hadrian. We started by taking the Tram line to Piazza Argentina, then a bus ride to the Subway stop next to the colosseum. We rode the Subway line all the way to the second to last stop and got on another bus there. That bus ride was about a 50 minute ride with the bus driver stopping and letting us off at the small town of Adriana. We walked through the town, about a mile, which led us to the front gates. We had a little trouble getting to the front gates but an old man helped us out by telling us how to go there. We kept running into the same old man who was weird because we were walking quite fast and he had a cane. He told us how to get there and when we got there he was already there. We think he was magic. The grounds were beautiful and well keep. We would walk around Hadrian’s villa looking at all of the wonderful spaces and ruins and run into him periodically. Upon further discussion with him I managed to find out that he was one of the original restorators of the villa. We sketched for a while and took a lot of pictures. The sun was setting so we decided to head back to Rome. The bus ride back was a good bit longer since we hit all sorts of traffic. By the time we got back to our apartment around 10:00 we were tired hunger and ready to go to bed only to get up in the morning to head to Munich for the rest of the weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



14th February 2006

My project
My Rome Studio project was in the Pechile in Hadrian's Villa. I hated it the first time I went out there, but it was cold, overcast and yucky. Later visits really went a lot better. Did you find Pireneze's signature? Are you guys going out there as a class? Davide is a great tour guide (as is Emilio, but Davide took us through the villa). We also had a woman who was some archeology expert and she really told us a lot to. Enjoy Munich! Shannon

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb