USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 28


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 4th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 28 Civitavecchia & Rome



Civitavecchia is a town and comune in the province of Rome in the central Italian region of Latium. A sea port on the Tyrrhenian Sea, it is located 80 kilometres west-north-west of Rome, across the Mignone river.

This was the end of our cruise. We had arrived at the port of Civitavecchia early, in fact the ship was already docked when we woke. We had breakfast & afterwards had a last walk around the ship. Some passengers had already disembarked, we were not due to disembark until 09:30. Most areas of the ship were pretty quiet - even the Gym was empty. The meeting point for disembarkation was the Solstice Theatre.









Most of our luggage had been collected late on the previous evening. So when we left the ship, we only had to take our Hand Carry & cameras. Celebrity staff said goodbye & we made our way to the port hall to collect all the luggage.

Roger had arranged for two taxis to take us & our luggage to Rome. We located the taxi's & after squeezing in our luggage, we were on our way. We drove through the town along the coast for a while, then the driver took a motorway bound for Rome. The trip is supposed to take an hour & a half.

There was no real traffic until we reached the outer suburbs of Rome. The taxi driver was using a GPS to find our Hotel, unfortunately, his GPS maps were a bit out-of-date & we seemed to make a few deviations due to closed roads or roads where you could not make the appropriate turn. Eventually the driver found the Hotel - we were on the wrong side of the street & you could not cross the median so he went a bit further & then made u-turn to get into the Hotel's car park.







We checked into the Mallia Residence Hotel which is located on via Damiano Chiesa. Since we were too early to go to our rooms, we left our luggage at reception & headed for the Balduina train station (only a few minutes walk from the Hotel). At the station there was no ticket office nor any ticket machines so we eventually bought our tickets from a nearby shop. We changed trains at Valle Aurella & we alighted at Spagna Station. It was not too far to walk to the Spanish Steps.

The Spanish Steps (138) climb a steep slope between the Piazza di Spagna at the base and Piazza Trinità dei Monti, dominated by the church of Trinità dei Monti. The steps were built with French diplomat Étienne Gueffier’s bequeathed funds of 20,000 scudi, in 1723-1725. The staircase is reputed to be the longest and widest in Europe.

We were at the Spanish Steps by 11.45. We took some group photo's (but we did not climb the steps!).







Also in the square is the Fontana della Barcaccia - a fountain in the shape of a half-sunken ship with water overflowing its bows. The fountain was commissioned by Pope Urban VIII and was completed in 1627 by Pietro Bernini and his son Gian Lorenzo Bernini. We then headed off to the Trevi Fountain, passing by a large monument.







We arrived at the Trevi fountain about 12:10, it was very crowded. The Trevi Fountain is the largest Baroque fountain in the city. The Trevi Fountain was finished in 1762 by Giuseppe Pannini. The backdrop for the fountain is the Palazzo Poli. A traditional legend holds that if visitors throw a coin into the fountain, they are ensured a return to Rome.













After the Trevi fountain, we headed towards the closest railway station at Barberini. We passed by Piazza Barberini, where you can see Triton Fountain. Thought to be one of the most beautiful Roman fountains, it was built in travertine by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1643. The same legend of throwing coins has also been extended to this fountain. We had to change to another train at Termini, a few stops later we got off at the Colosseum railway station.







The Colosseum is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome. It is the largest ever built in the Roman Empire. It is one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and Roman engineering. It's construction started between 70 and 72 AD under the emperor Vespasian and was completed in 80 AD under Titus. Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles.

We arrived at the Colosseum just before 1 pm. The Colosseum is opposite the railway station. We were already feeling hungry by this time, so we just did a quick circuit of the outside of the Colosseum & then looked for somewhere to eat.







We ate Pizza's at a restaurant in a side street near the Colosseum. By the time we finished lunch it was already after 2:30 pm.







You have to pay an entry fee to get into the Colosseum. Most just paid the standard fee, Joan & me paid a little bit extra to join a short guided tour.






















Saw an ancient Roman equestrian statue on display & nearby there were broken columns lying on the ground. Around 4pm we had finished our tour of the Colosseum.







Outside the Colosseum is the Arch Of Constantine. It was erected to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge on October 28, 312. It was dedicated just a few years later, in 315 AD. The large arch with 3 archways is almost 26m (85ft) wide and 21m (69ft) high.







Ten minutes after leaving the Colosseum, we were at the entrance to the Archaeological site of Palatine Hill & the Roman Forum. The ticket for the Colosseum included this site as well. Palatine Hill is the centremost of the famous seven hills of Rome. There is evidence from archaeological digs (Iron Age huts) that demonstrates that the hill was inhabited as long ago as the 10th century BC.







Once inside we saw some steps leading up to a ruin. We did not go those stairs, but instead took another set to the left, along the path you could see the Claudian Aqueduct.







Next we went up the hill past a guide talking to an audience (he mentioned to his group among other things to be aware of pick-pockets here & in Rome generally). Once up the hill we could see an ancient Roman Stadium, which was a part of the Domitian Palace.









After walking around the ruins for a while, we then saw a sculpture on the wall of a building, then we went past an old building which had a number of broken columns just lying on the ground. Next we headed for the Palatine Museum.














The museum was supposed to be closed for the day (according to a sign out front), however, we saw other people going in, so we went inside.

The Palatine Museum charts the history of Palantine Hill from Archaic times with quaint models of early villages (ground floor) through to Roman times (ground and upper floors). On display are painted terra-cotta mouldings and decorations from various temples, as well as sculptures (the people ones were mostly incomplete - missing body parts), frescos (related painting types, done on plaster on walls or ceilings) and mosaic wood pictures.
















After the museum, Joan & me separated from the rest of the group (they were tired & wanted to go to the exit to rest). We continued on to a vantage point which overlooked the city. Then we went down through ruins near Capanne Romulee.









We then passed through a tunnel, inside it had more people sculptures (missing body parts again!). We then headed towards the Roman Forum.







The Roman Forum is located between the Palatine hill and the Capitoline Hill. It is the central area around which the ancient Roman civilization developed. The oldest and most important structures of the ancient city are located in the forum.

We arrived in the Roman Forum around 5 pm. Saw the Arch of Titus & Antiquarium Forense. The Arch of Titus was constructed by the emperor Domitian shortly after the death of his older brother Titus. It was probably erected sometime after 81 CE.







Next we saw the Basilica of Maxentius. It was the largest building in the Roman Forum. Construction began on the northern side of the forum under the emperor Maxentius in 308, and was completed in 312 by Constantine I after his defeat of Maxentius at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge.

Further on we saw the Temple of Divus Romulus. It was built in the 4th century AD. The large well-preserved bronze door is original.









Further down the hill, saw the House of Vestals on the left & Temple of Antoninus and Faustina on the right. The House of the Vestal Virgins was the place where Vestal Virgins lived. The house was a three-story 50-room palace in the ancient Roman Forum built around an elegant elongated atrium or court with a double pool.

The Temple of Antoninus and Faustina was built in 141 AD by emperor Antoninus Pius to honour his deceased wife Faustina.







Then saw the Temple of Vesta & the Temple of Castor and Pollux. The circular Temple of Vesta (pictured in the distance) dates back to the 4th century BC. Vesta was one of Rome's most important as it was dedicated to the protectors of both the family and State.
Only three pillars remain of the Temple of Castor and Pollux. The original temple was built in 484 BC, the current ruins date from its last reconstruction in 6 A.D.









Just down from Temple of Antoninus and Faustina, are the remains of the Basilica Aemilia. The Basilica Aemilia is the oldest basilica at the forum, originally built in 179 BC by consuls Marcus Aemilius Lepidus and Marcus Fulvius Nobilor.

The Column of Phocas, which was erected before the Rostra in the Roman Forum and dedicated or rededicated in honour of the Eastern Roman Emperor Phocas on August 1, 608, was the last addition made to the Roman Forum.









The white marble Arch of Septimius Severus (shown above) at the end of the Roman Forum is a triumphal arch dedicated in AD 203 to commemorate the Parthian victories of Emperor Septimius Severus and his two sons, Caracalla and Geta, in the two campaigns against the Parthians of 194/195 and 197-199.

The Curia (pictured above far right) was the location where the senate assembled. The rectangular brick building could seat up to 200 senators. The current building was constructed in AD 283 by Diocletius.

The last structures we saw at this end of the forum were the Tabularium, Temple of Saturn & the Temple of Vespasian. The Tabularium is at the western extreme of the Roman Forum. The Tabularium was build in 79 BC on initiative of the consul Quintus Lutatius Catulus. The Temple of Saturn dates from 42 BC. The temple was used as the state treasury. Construction of the temple of Vespaian started in the 1st century AD by Titus in honour of his deified father Vespasian.







Around 5:30 pm we made our way to exit to rejoin the rest of our group, passing by the Temple of Venus & Rome. Ancient Rome's largest religious structure is close to the Colosseum. Designed by emperor Hadrianus in 135 AD, the temple was dedicated to Roma, the personification of the city and Venus, mother of Aeneas (assumed father of Remus and Romulus).








Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb