When in Rome...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 20th 2005
Published: December 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After passing through Rome on two occasions already (see the Great Train Debacle) we finally had the chance to see more of the city than just the train station and I must say we were impressed.
Well aside from the our hotel room which featured a lovely mould feature wall but I guess if the mould spores don't kill you they can only make you stronger.. Ha ha ha (cough) ha. I guess thats what happens when you put a shower in the middle of a bedroom? Hmmm...

Well our first day in Rome we decided to go for a little walk and look around our area, which was right near termini station. Thank goodness. The packs just seem to get heavier and heavier. We wandered up to the Piazza which was near us and found ourselves in the middle of a political rally. Complete with an army of riot police on standby. Being absolutely stupid, we decided to watch with amazement as the crowd grew and listened to what we can only presume were political candidates of some sort. Flags were waved, ongs were sung and the rain came pouring down. Miraculously, Rome seems to grow umbrella sellers from the very first raindrops that fall. They grow on the sidewalk, on the stairs, on the doorstep, and will sell you an umbrella for 5 euro if you have unwittingly left yours at home. Which we had. So new umbrella in hand we trundled off to the cinema to ease our withdrawal symptoms. Unfortunately, the Lonely Planet (or Bible as it shall henceforth be named), lied to us about the cinema showing English language films. As we soon found out from the italian guy selling tickets - they only have the italian virgin!!! (version?). Which he screamed to us nearly through the glass where they sell the tickets.. Pretty embarrassing. We saw Harry Potter anyway, and through much perserverence and guess work deciphered it pretty well.

Second day we went to the colloseum and it was absolutely lovely. It was amazing to see and we were absolutely in awe of it and the surrounding ruins and buildings. It was turning out to be a good day until a quick stop to the Gelati shop mad Lauren realise that she was sick. A find-the-nearest-toilet-before-I-vomit-everywhere ensued, a task that isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in European countries. After managing to hold on through 2 metro stops we finally found one and 70 euro cents later Loz was feeling much better. Until the next time.. We think it may have been the mould spores.

So sightseeing in Rome pretty much took a backseat as Loz recovered and it seemed to do the trick. I think we both needed some rest anyway.

Since our time in Rome was short and riddled with sickness I will sign off with the Five Things We Have Learnt So Far



Well thats us until Scotland. Hope everyone is well and missing us lots..

LOVE Jacki & Lauren x




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rome centralRome central
Rome central

Just watch out for pesky umbrella sellers
It's a mummy!!It's a mummy!!
It's a mummy!!

Rap yourself in foil and put on a mask.. The new occupation sweeping Rome.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb