The Colosseum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 2nd 2021
Published: March 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 1st March- The Colosseum in Rome



My first virtual tour with Sara in Rome, I had read that she was a very experienced guide & although I have visited the Colosseum some years ago I thought I’d join the trip on Monday.



Construction of the Colosseum began between 70 and 72 CE. The completed structure was dedicated in 80 CE.

During the Roman Empire and under the motto of "Bread and Circuses" the Colosseum (known then as Flavian Amphitheatre) allowed more than 50,000 people to enjoy its finest spectacles. The exhibitions of exotic animals, executions of prisoners, recreations of battles and gladiator fights kept the Roman people entertained for years.

The Colosseum remained active for over 500 years. The last recorded games in history were celebrated in the 6th century.

Since the 6th century the Colosseum has suffered lootings, earthquakes and even bombings during World War Two. Demonstrating a great survival instinct, the Colosseum was used for decades as a storehouse, church, cemetery and even a castle for nobility.



There was so much information from Sara it was difficult to absorb it all but she had a great
way of bringing to life this iconic structure.



The original name "Flavian Amphitheatre" was changed to the Colosseum due to the great statue of Nero that was located at the entrance of the Domus Aurea, "The Colossus of Nero".



The Domus Aurea was a great palace built under the orders of Nero after the Fire of Rome.

The emperor Titus inaugurated the Colosseum with 100 days of games, which took the life of more than 2,000 gladiators.



The Colosseum had a canvas ceiling to protect people from the sun. The machinery and cages were located beneath the arena.

Sara showed several photographs showing the events that took place back in time.



The 80 arches were 76 for public entrance & 4 for VIP entrance, the numbers of the arch can still be se3n.



There are some theories that the Colosseum was filled with water for naval battle recreations, although for the moment there have not been conclusive investigations.



It was not possible to enter the colosseum, security is very tight and currently during the pandemic the site is closed.

It was strange having no people around but that is one good thing with these virtualtrips, tourists, like me, are staying at home to stay safe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.489s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb