St Paolo Basilica


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 20th 2017
Published: November 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

There you go ...what a finish to the holiday.

An effort on C Line Metro to A Line Metro to B Line Metro...the result a stop at San Paolo Basilica (St Paul).
We were quite amazed.
Was one of the four Papal seats in Rome. The original Basilica was built as a monument over the second burial of St Paul by the insistence of Constantine (in 324 AD). Then a second Basilica was built around the first by Theodosius (389) thus making it 'St Paul Outside the Wall's'. The first burial of St Paul after his beheading was on the road to Ostia Antica (original establishment of Rome by the sea).
My observation is his 'means of cruxifiction' (by Nero) is why his skull is at St Giovanni Basilica (St John).
In 2004 to 2009 pilgrims determined archeological excavations be done of the sarcophagus of St Paul and it now exposes a side wall that is on view inside the Basilica under the altar. The sarcophagus lies beneath the remmants of earthquake and later fire debris of the Basilica and the altar was purposefully built on top of it. The sarcophagus has been found to still be intact.

More to come....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb