Rome's Port


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Ostia
October 13th 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.7308, 12.2808

After repairing the washer (you don't want to know) we made a late exit from our apartment, rode the train for a half hour and arrived in Ostia Antica. This was Rome's port. All of her supplies and food arriving by sea went through here. And during the Imperial period, Italy did not grow enough food to feed herself, so imports were a major concern.

We were surprised how far the port was from Rome. Like we mentioned a half hour train ride. Everything arriving here must then be transported by animal drawn carts to a city of one million people. Poor oxen.

Save for the marble, which folks during the middle ages stripped from the buildings, the city has come to us in quite good shape. The reason is that not long after Rome fell the Tiber River decided to change course, and thus the city fell into complete disuse. Added to this the area became marshy and silted in, a bit like a slow motion Pompeii.

We took pictures only along main street. But this is a very extensive city, side streets fan out in all directions and there are living quarters and shops a plenty.

We are having some mercy on you troops today, only eight pictures.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.519s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb