The Last Two Days of Sailing for the 2017 Season & Arrival in Gaeta, Italy - Oct 1-Oct 2, 2017


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Gaeta
October 2nd 2017
Published: October 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

A Bonus of Early DeparturesA Bonus of Early DeparturesA Bonus of Early Departures

are the wonderful sunrises - this one on Oct 1st
Latest Update of Where We are in Real Time

As many of you know that have been keeping up with this blog, it is unfortunately behind the times. As we continued to travel and explore I have found it harder and harder to sort through all of my photographs, write up the information on what we have seen and get it posted to the blog. I will continue to update as it is for us our own travel journal. If you don’t mind “old” news then you are welcome to continue to read the entries as they become available.

For now though, I wanted to let you know where we are in reality. As of October 2nd we arrived in Gaeta, Italy which is the winter port for Tsamaya. This ends the cruising season for 2017 (at least on the water)– it has been a wonderful journey which started this year in Paris leading us to through the inland waterways of France to the Med. Tsamaya then was transformed from a canal boat without a mast to a sailboat again allowing us to enjoy anchoring out again and visiting interesting places while we traveled along the French and Italian Rivera’s. We had a chance to touch on the rich history and art found in Rome, Pisa and Florence and then end our cruising season for this year by sailing along the mountainous coastline of Italy to Gaeta. Our last push was broken into 2 days of travel – our first day from Rome was a 10 hour day providing us with a last opportunity to anchor out for the season and the 2nd day of only 5 hours providing us a pleasant sail along a beautiful ending with us safely at dock in our winter harbor in Gaeta.

Definitely a wonderful 2017 season. It isn’t completely over – just not moving anymore with the boat, but we will do some land explorations until we return to the US in mid-November to visit with family and friends and continue work on “that old house” we purchased back in Greenwich NY! Hopefully our paths will cross with some of you when we are back in the US.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

One of The Numerous Lighthouses We SawOne of The Numerous Lighthouses We Saw
One of The Numerous Lighthouses We Saw

in the last two days along the coast
Went for Some Italian Coffee - Nothing Drunk Yet!Went for Some Italian Coffee - Nothing Drunk Yet!
Went for Some Italian Coffee - Nothing Drunk Yet!

a cup of expresso is smaller in Italy than in France


3rd October 2017

I love to read blogs of the parts of you trip you had to skip...
and thanks for your dedication to this effort. From my days at NATO I recall that Gaeta is where the US Sixth Fleet flag ship was home ported.
9th October 2017

you're right
yes, the flag ship's home port is here for NATO - were you stationed here?

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb